Take control of your learning with AVID for Higher Education!
Welcome prospective AVID for Higher Education (AHE) students! Through this program students achieve success and Advancement Via Individual Determination. AHE professors use high-engagement teaching practices in their classrooms. These classes emphasize active learning, building academic skills, classroom collaboration, and creating community to empower every students' potential.
AVID-infused classes are designated with the AHE symbol. These courses are taught by AHE trained faculty. Saddleback College offers over 70 individual course sections in various disciplines that utilize AHE high engagement strategies.
Use AVID for Higher Education Strategies
Building up students' Writing, Inquiry, Collaboration, Organization, and Reading (WICOR) techniques is at the core of AHE learning strategies. Strengthening WICOR skills helps students to be better prepared for all their college classes.
- Students who WRITE consider the audience and purpose, engage in various processes to address specific situations, support their thinking, and demonstrate understanding.
- Students who INQUIRE analyze and synthesize ideas, clarify their own thinking, probe others' thinking, and work through ambiguity.
- Students who COLLABORATE work together toward a common goal, develop positive interdependence, form focused study groups, and support the learning of others.
- Students who ORGANIZE develop and use processes, managed their time well, interact with their teachers, and use self-directions and self-evaluation.
- Students who READ to Learn understand text structures, use prior knowledge, make connections and predictions, and create visual images as they read.