Finding a Major and Creating a MAP:
Self Assessment: Find out who you are and what you wantThere are many pathways you can take to reach a career. In order to create a My Academic Plan (MAP), find a major and a college or university that offers that major. If you would like to choose a major quickly, complete the activities that have asterisks (*)
Exploration: Learn about the world of work and your educational pathThere are many choices when it comes to finding additional information on careers, majors and schools.
Decision Making: Analyze occupational, academic and career informationYou have many decisions when it comes to choice of major and educational training options. Typically, there is no one correct path to a career. Include people in your decision making; friends, co-workers, siblings parents and staff at the college can help lead you to additional information to solidify your choices. Check out some of these interpersonal exercises to help you make decisions.
Create an Academic Plan (MAP): Your path to success.An updated educational plan which is then reviewed and locked by a counselor is required to qualify for a priority in the registration cycle. To build an updated educational plan, follow these steps.
Job and Career Search: Look for job experience (jobs and internships)There are many resources online and the local OneStops (EDD/Unemployment offices) to assist you in this process. Saddleback College has a job board (Gaucho Jobs), but individual help is no longer available in Career Services starting Dec., 2012. For more information on job resources for students, click on Job Services for Students link in the upper left hand corner or click here.
- Counseling Classes (these classes are usually taken to help you choose what majors, career and/or colleges best fit your needs)
- Counseling Appointments
- The Career and Re-Entry Center: Check out our resources at our center's Navigation Page.
- Complete a Self Directed Assessment (This is for the independent student that wants to explore career) The center offers free career assessments, self-directed assessment packets, assessments for classroom use and counseling help with career and life planning.
- View your MySite home page and emails for upcoming workshops campus-wide
- CaCareerCafe.Com - Learn more about the world of career and work. Find jobs from the EDD job site.
- How to Career ... This is a career planning process with online links
- California Career Zone Get a list of possible careers and research occupational information.
- Discover your Holland Codes - At a quiz at Rogue Community College
- EDD Career Exploration tools including industry descriptions of Biotech, Construction, Health Care, and Logistics
- CTI Career Search - Career Videos, Stories and Demographics
Fun Links to Explore:
- Salary Surfer - Find salaries based on certificates at CCC's
- Videos - Spark 101 - STEM videos, Click on Explore Stem Subjects
- Labor Market Projections: Orange County
- Did you know 2.0 - Understand how the world's population will effect the U.S. and the economy
- Education Today and Tomorrow - How education should change
- Pay Attention - Are we changing education to prepare for tomorrow (with research sources)
Saddleback College does not promote one specific web site and would not suggest to utilized pay sites unless the student researches the product.