Cap and Gown
Graduates and candidates will wear cardinal-colored caps and gowns, which are available at the bookstore.
For students who want to share the news of their graduation with family and friends, commencement announcements are available for purchase in the bookstore.
During the commencement ceremony, you will be handed the cover for your diploma or certificate. Diplomas and certificates will be mailed during the month of October to all candidates who have completed their requirements. If you move, please update your address online through MySite to ensure that you receive your diploma.
Can’t afford a cap and gown? ASG will be offering them on a first come, first serve basis the morning of graduation. Arrive around 7:30 am to get one.
8:00 am - 8:45 am Graduate Check-in across from the gym at the baseball field.
- Staff will help you with your cap and gown and will give you a name card. Please legibly write your mailing address on the reverse side of the card. The photographer will be using this information to send you proofs of your photos.
- Breakfast will be provided as well (graduates only).
9:00 am Processional begins.
- The processional will be led by the faculty followed by the students and platform party. There will be marshals to assist with the student processional and lead graduates to their seats.
Stay standing until asked to be seated.
Students with special needs will be seated in the first row. To arrange for special needs, please contact the Special Services Office at 949-582-4915.
- At the presentation of the class by the Academic Senate President, the first row will rise. Following the student marshals' directions, students will file completely out after the preceding row and line up at the ramp on the left side of the staging platform; the rest of the rows will follow the first row as directed.
- Each student will proceed to the microphone and hand the speaker their name card. The student will walk across the platform and will receive their diploma or certificate cover* while shaking the hand of the presenter.
- The student will exit across the stage and turn right down the ramp, take a photograph off stage and then proceed back to his/her seat.
- Each student must be seated immediately upon reaching his/her seat.
After the ceremony, the platform party will lead the recessional, followed by the faculty and then the students. The student marshals will direct the students in the recessional. The front row will leave first, followed by the second, etc. The members of the audience will remain in their places until the recessional is complete.
A photo opportunity for students, guests, and participants will be held in the area adjacent to the Physical Education Complex (in between the pool area and the gymnasium) immediately following the ceremony.
Attire: Wear appropriate clothing (appropriate costumes also allowed for the Harlem Shake—come dressed in your costume as there won’t be time to change).
Diploma: You will not receive your actual diploma; it will be mailed to you
Personal Items: Don’t bring them, unless they fit in your pocket, as you won’t have a place to leave them (not even under your chair because your seat will change after you walk)
Pictures: will be taken and can be order in advance or the day of (see website for details).
Rehearsal: No rehearsal; just come at 8am the morning of graduation
Seating: Graduates will sit with the people the line up with (no assigned seating)
Tickets: no tickets necessary; first come first serve seating
Can’t afford a cap and gown? ASG will be offering them on a first come, first serve basis the morning of graduation
Note: *Students will receive only a diploma or certificate cover during the ceremony. The diploma or certificate will be mailed during the month of October. For graduation/diploma information please contact Admissions and Records at (949) 582-4555