Academic Counseling

Professional counselors are available to discuss and help you plan your educational program, to advise you about college or university entrance requirements, major requirements, General Education Certification, and the application process. Successful students see a Counselor at least once a semester.

  • Academic Counseling
  • Selection of a major
  • Setting educational goals
  • Schedule planning
  • Transfer Planning
  • Academic success strategies

What Courses Do I Take?

Selecting courses for the first semester can be frustrating and difficult. Here are some suggestions you may find helpful:

Decide how many units you want to take. Make a list of possible courses from the class schedule, which might include:

  • Career Planning, College Orientation or Educational Planning courses such as
    Counseling 1, 140 or 160,
  • Basic Skills courses: It is important to begin with any basic skills courses in Mathematics, Reading or English. These courses do NOT transfer to four-year colleges and universities.
  • General Education courses: All students working towards a college degree need these courses. You will find lists of courses required for the Saddleback College AA Degree (non-transfer) as well as those for the California State University and the University of California.
  • Major Preparation courses: Courses that you are required to take at Saddleback College to transfer to four-year colleges and universities
  • Personal Interest and Exploration: Many students enjoy taking an introductory course in a major they are considering or courses they have always wanted to take such as music, art, computer programs, etc.

Determine how many courses you will need from your list to equal the number of units you want to take. If you want to take nine units, you will probably want to select three courses with three units each.

Review each course you have selected to make sure you have any required prerequisites. All prerequisites are being enforced.

After the semester begins, make an appointment with a counselor so that you can do some long-range academic planning. Counselors will help you explore majors, careers, and programs of study during your one-hour appointment. Multiple appointments can be made if needed.

Transfer to a University

Associate Degrees and Certificates

My Academic Plan – MAP Your Future!

Time Management