Transfer to a University

Important Transfer Links

IGETC/CSU & Degree Resources

Advisement Information for Transfer Major

Articulation Agreements with Private and Out-of-State Colleges and Universities

Articulation Transfer Patterns


California & Out-of-State Universities

A&R Forms & Petitions

Bachelor's Degree

Major courses plus general education and electives, approximately 120-132 total units required. Usually referred to as BS (Bachelor of Science) or BA (Bachelor of Arts) Degrees. Normally requires 4-5 years of full-time study. Students may complete the Freshman and Sophomore years (lower-division courses) at a community college and then transfer to a four-year university for Junior and Senior years (upper-division courses). Saddleback College courses numbered 1-199 transfer to CSU and courses numbered 1-99 transfer to UC (with some exceptions).

Preparation for the Bachelor's Degree at Saddleback College is made up of lower-division General Education requirements and preparation courses in a major. Some students take elective courses in subjects in which they have an interest. General Education Certification includes courses in the arts, humanities, the natural sciences, English, social sciences and mathematics.

There are two major General Education Certification patterns:

CSU General Education Certification

Primarily used for the California State University System and some private colleges and universities in California.

IGETC/CSU & Degree Resources & CSU GE Certification Sheet

Note: Only Saddleback College courses numbered 1-199 are certified as transferable courses to the CSU.

IGETC – Intersegmental General Education Transfer Curriculum

Used for the University of California. Can also be used for CSU and some private colleges and universities in California.

IGETC/CSU & Degree Resources & IGETC Sheet

Note: Only Saddleback College courses numbered 1-99 are certified as transferable courses to the UC.

Preparation for the major includes lower-division courses taken at Saddleback College that prepares you for upper-division course work in your major at the university. The Saddleback College Catalog contains many major preparation transfer patterns for California universities.

The Associate Degree for Transfer (AA-T or AS-T) is a special, new degree offered at California Community Colleges. To pursue this special degree rather than a traditional AA or AS degree, you should meet with a counselor to develop an education plan that puts you on the path toward the AA-T or AS-T degree.

For more information visit:

Students should consult with a counselor when planning to complete the degree for more information on university admission and transfer requirements.

At the time of catalog publication, a student may earn an AA-T in:

or an AS-T in Early Childhood Education.

Coming Soon!

Additional majors are being developed, to be approved. Please see a counselor for more information.

TAG – Transfer Admission Guarantee

Special agreements now make it easier for students to transfer to certain California universities. We currently have this type of agreement with UC Davis, UC Irvine, UC Merced, UC Riverside, UC San Diego, UC Santa Barbara and UC Santa Cruz. Please visit a counselor at the Transfer Center or Counseling Department for further information.

Honors Program

Students who complete the Honors Program are eligible for preferential admission consideration at a variety of colleges and universities.

Contact the Honors Program at (949) 582-4853 or visit for further information. Counselors in the Transfer Center or Counseling Department are also available to answer Honors Program questions.