David PinoTitle: Associate Faculty
Department: Social Sciences
Division: Division of Social & Behavioral Sciences
Organization: Saddleback College
M.A., San Diego State University, 1998
B.A., California State University, 1996
A.A., Saddleback College, 1991
Honors and Awards
Teacher of the Year, 2004 NIE Union Tribune San Diego
My family history and culture originate in the Yucatan Peninsula. My father's first language is Maya. I have traveled repeatedly to the region to study the architecture and celestial events of the region.
My graduate thesis constituted an analysis of Latino political participation in a post Proposition 187 political environment. My interest is in analyzing and predicting future voting trends in California.
Selected Publications and Lectures
Proposition 187: Latino Poltical Participation 1998
NBC News Ch7/39 2000 : Commentator on Latino Voter Participation for 2000 election.
San Diego State University: New Student Conference 2001
Changing Demographics in a Changing State
San Diego City College and Southwestern Community College 2000-2008
Adjunct Instructor of Political Science
Taught PS 101 Intro to Political Science + PS 102 Intro to American Government & Politics
San Diego State University 200-2003
Lecturer of Political Science and Chicano Studies
Congresswoman Suan A. Davis 49th Congressional District 2000-01
Secretary - Latino Outreach Representative
Maintained liaison with state and federal legislative staff, interest groups, public agencies and officials.
Model United Nations – delegate/coordinator CSUF 1994/95
- Organized and led college MUN to International Model United Nations conference in New York City
- Trained delegates on public speaking, group communication, research, policy analysis, active listening, negotiating, conflict resolution, note taking, and technical writing
- Coordinator Voter Registration and Recruitment – San Diego County Registrar of Voters
- Border Angels - Human Rights Organization
- House of Mexico - Balboa Park San Diego
Bilingual: Spanish (reading, writing, speaking)