purchase textbooks at Saddleback College Bookstore or online through various websites.
- Please be prepared and bring the following items if available
- - Print out of your Spring 2017 classes.
- -List of Required textbooks.
- -Bring Textbooks if they are available
Textbooks, instructional materials, and other printed information being converted to another format such as Braille, large print, or electronic text. The United States Department of Education, Office for Civil Rights (OCR) has held that the three basic components of effective communication include: "timeliness of delivery, accuracy of the translation, and provision in a manner and medium appropriate to the significance of the message and the abilities of the individual with the disability.
Alternate Media Production Policies
Saddleback College will make available, upon request, in alternate media, any publication it offers to the general public such as the college catalog, announcements about cultural or recreational events sponsored by the college, job announcements, etc. Nevertheless, since most requests are likely to come from students, the primary focus in these guidelines will be to provide instructional materials in accessible formats.
Saddleback College Alternate Media Specialist
Tools, Techniques and Training
Kurzweil 3000 + Firefly
All learners deserve tools that help them unlock their potential. We provide tools and resources that allow all learners to actively engage in learning experiences in the ways that work best for them. This, in turn, enables real learning to happen and helps unlock each person's unique potential.
How Does It Works?
Students can access content and common literacy supports from any device or computer with internet access, then dive deeper with comprehensive literacy support installed directly to Mac and Windows computers.
- Access content on the web, your computer, or in print
- Differentiate instruction with digital tools
- Save content to class or student folders (no file storage limite)
- Guide learners throughout the full learning process
- Inform instructional decisions with centralized reporting
Livescribe smartpens bring your words and ideas into your digital world.
- Watch your notes appear instantly on your iOS and Android mobile app, notes become more useful when they are organized, tagged, searchable and converted to text.
- It connects easily to your laptop or desktop by USB cable to replay your notes with desktop.
- Automatically and wirelessly transfer your recorded notes and audio too your Evernote account for access on nearly any digital device.
Sonocent Audio Notetaker
How to Work With Sonocent Audio Notetaker?
- Take live recordings or import audio from lectures, meetings, classroom activities, and brainstorming sessions. Audio Notetaker displays each phrase of speech as a colored chunk.
- Add layers of meaning to your project with color, text, images, presentation slides, and PDF documents. You can do this while you record.
- Transcribe or summarize your recording.Edit your project to ensure you have all the content you'll need for your final piece of work.
Web Evaluation Tools
If you use an automated tool to evaluate your web pages, you should also manually check your pages. Automated tools are not capable of verifying all aspects of compliance. This checklist identifies items in order of Web Accessibility Initiative (WAI) Checklist (scroll down to view list)
The Disability and Educational Support Program Computer Lab has screen reading software installed. Faculty and staff who are interested in a demonstration of this software or who would like to listen to their pages using should contact the Disability and Educational Support Program.
A demo version of JAWS screen reader software is available for download. Download and install this demo to listen to your pages.
The final test in determining if a page is truly accessible is to access it using assistive technology.
Saddleback College has purchased the CPC 700 system for the captioning of videos. For more information please contact Saddleback College's Alternate Media Specialist.
MAGpie is a free tool that can be downloaded and used to caption digital files.
PDF's that do not have tags are not accessible. To make a PDF more accessible it needs to be converted into a tagged PDF. Document creator should also manually check the tagged part of the file to make sure that it accurately reflects the text of the main document.
There are two Adobe products Acrobat and Acrobat Reader. Acrobat Reader is only for reading files and will not create them. To create your own PDF's you will need to use Acrobat.
Make Accessible plug-in - This free download is for use with Adobe Acrobat 5.0 and will convert an untagged document to a tagged one. Double check the accuracy of the conversion especially in cases where you have complex page layouts and graphics. This product will only work with Adobe Acrobat. It will not work with Acrobat Reader.
Adobe's Online Tools for converting PDF's to text.
Accessible Topics and Resources
Laws and Guidelines
According to the Chancellor's Office, web pages must satisfy Priority One checkpoints of the Web Content Accessibility Guidelines and conform to the standards for accessibility under Section 508 of the Rehabilitative Act of 1973.
Both state and federal law require community colleges to operate all programs and activities in a manner which is accessible to students with disabilities. Accordingly, as the system develops its capacity for creation of technology based instructional resources and the delivery of distance learning; it must proceed with the needs of all students in mind, including the unique needs of students with disabilities.
Distance Education: Access Guidelines for Students with Disabilities, August 1999 Chancellor's Office California Community Colleges
From the Chancellor's Office