Federal Work Study Information

Federal Work Study

Federal Work-Study (FWS) is a federally funded aid program that provides on- campus work positions to qualifying Saddleback College students. Students must meet the financial aid requirement to qualify for a position. To apply, students should complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).

How do I apply for Federal Work-Study?

  • Complete the FAFSA online at http://www.fafsa.ed.gov
  • Mark 'yes' to the question on the FAFSA that asks if you are interested in student employment
  • Students must complete a new FAFSA by March 2 of each year for consideration
  • If the student is eligible for and is offered FWS as reflected in the award letter he/she needs to contact the Financial Aid Office for a job referral

FWS Policy

  • Students must be enrolled in 6 or more units
  • Students may not work more than 10 hours per week while school is in session
  • Students must maintain a 2.0 cumulative GPA or better
  • Students must not earn over their FWS award amount
  • Students may not work during a scheduled class or lab (even if its cancelled)
  • The FWS academic year is July 1 through June 30. Students are not paid for what they don’t earn. Earnings “left over” from the previous year are not transferred to the next academic year.
  • FWS awards are cancelled if the student does not respond to the FWS offer within 3 weeks from the date FWS is awarded
  • The Financial Assistance Office has the right to change a student’s award which may result in a student’s FWS award being increased or decreased.

How do I find a job?

After receiving your award letter you can view federal work study openings by logging into Gaucho Jobs When you click on the title, it takes you to the log-in page for Gaucho Jobs.

  • If you have an existing account and log-in, it will take you directly to the posting.
  • If you have to create an account, you’ll have to follow the steps to register, log-in, and then…
  • Go to the ‘Search Jobs’ tab or
  • Use the quick link ‘Search Federal Work Study Postings’ from the Student Home Page.

Thoroughly read the job requirements for each position and consider your program of study, previous work experiences and time schedule so that you can apply for the position that will be the best fit for you.

  • Select a position, print or write down the job information and bring it to the Student Financial Assistance and Scholarship Office for a Referral Card. After obtaining the Referral Card contact the employer for an interview.

Click here for current Federal Work Study openings

I am currently receiving unemployment. Do I have to report FWS earnings to the unemployment office?

Yes. If you are receiving unemployment insurance benefits and are also employed in the FWS program, you must notify your local unemployment office that you are working in the FWS program. The California Employment Development Department (EDD) considers it willful misrepresentation to collect unemployment benefits without revealing that you are also receiving FWS

Are FWS earnings taxable?

Yes. FWS earnings are considered taxable income by both federal and state governments. However, FWS earnings are not counted as income in determining eligibility for financial aid 

Quick Facts

On campus employment positions

Must meet financial need requirement: complete FAFSA

Hours: up to 10 hours per week

Pay rate: $9.50

Must be enrolled at least half-time (6 units per semester)

Students cannot begin working without authorization from the Financial Assistance Office