Certificate-Track Status: How to Apply
Students must submit a Certificate-Track Application. Applications are accepted on a rolling basis, but deadlines do exist for students who want to be considered for priority registration eligibility. These deadlines are not completely under our control because we must coordinate with Admissions & Records. For upcoming deadlines, see the right-hand column of this page.
California Education Code now requires that
- Applications from current Walk-In Honors Students:
Students who have or are in the process of completing Honors courses must submit an application before completing two Honors courses, whether or not the GPA and English competency requirements have been met (see below).
- Other applications:
Applications are accepted only from students who have completed a Saddleback College application or have officially transferred (i.e., changed their College of Record) from Irvine Valley College. Students still in high school are welcome to apply if they have gone through matriculation. Students may submit an application any time after receiving their student ID number. We accept applications throughout the year, but cutoff dates do exist for students seeking priority registration. See the right-hand side of this page for current dates. These dates are set based on deadlines we have been given by Admissions & Records.
- A cumulative GPA of at least 3.25, including.
- for students with at least 12 UC-transferable units, over all those units, wherever completed;
- for students with fewer units, over all academic high school work (weighted).
- Eligibility for any transfer-level English composition course at Saddleback College, as determined by the Matriculation Office based on examination or AP score:
- English 1A or 1AH, or
- English 1B or 1BH
- Saddleback College as the student's College of Record.
Students who do not meet the English Composition or GPA requirement may apply, and will be considered for admission.
Students who are short of the criteria should, however,
(1) explain whatever circumstances prevented them from meeting the criteria, and
(2) discuss their strategies for overcoming or recovering from those circumstances.
Application may be deferred until the criteria are met,
but the application must be submitted before two Honors classes are completed
in order to preserve eligibility for eventual admission.
In the meantime, as discussed above,
all students may continue to take Honors courses
whether or not they are accepted to Certificate-Track status
and should begin working with an Honors counselor immediately.