Walk-In Honors vs. Certificate-Track Honors

Any Saddleback College student
may enroll in any Honors class
for which he or she meets the ordinary prerequisites, using the same procedure
used to register in other classes.

By enrolling in an Honors class, students automatically become
Walk-In Honors Students.

No special procedure is needed, and no special permission is required.


Walk-In vs. Certificate-Track Status as an Honors Program Student

All students enrolled in Honors classes are expected to do Honors-level work, and all will receive Honors credit on their transcripts for the course. To be eligible for full Honors Program benefits, students must maintain good standing as Certificate-Track Honors Students. The full benefits of Honors Program participation, however, are available only to Certificate-Track Honors Students in Good Standing. The graph below shows Honors Program benefits received by different student populations.


* A Transfer Center counseling appointment is mandatory for Certificate-Track students every semester. Appointments are made early Wednesday mornings for the following week. Call 949-582-4328 -- better yet, be at SSC 225B Wednesday morning -- and identify yourself as an Honors Program student.

** Honors Program completion is necessary for participation in all Honors transfer agreements; however, agreements vary widely. Program completion alone is not sufficient for eligibility to participate in every transfer agreement.

*** "Priority registration" means that students may register for classes one or two days before the regular registration window opens. Priority registration appointments are previous to those given to Freshman Advantage or Early-Bird students. Priority registration is regulated by the California Education Code, which specifies that certain populations such as concurrent high school students do not qualify. Honors Program students who are entitled to even earlier appointments, such as veterans or other special populations, will maintain their earlier appointments and not be affected by Honors Program participation. 

Changing from Walk-In to Certificate-Track Status: The Two-Course Deadline

Students may take as many Honors courses as they wish as Walk-Ins. However, students who complete two Honors courses without applying for Certificate-Track status lose their eligibility to apply. 

In order to maintain eligibility for Certificate-Track status,
Walk-In Honors Students must submit the application before they complete two Honors classes,
even if they do not meet the GPA or English composition criteria for admission.

Students who do not meet the GPA or English composition requirement for Certificate-Track status may be admitted on probation, but the application must be complete in order to preserve eligibility for eventual admission. This requirement was instituted because in years past students who waited too long to apply found that they were not able to meet honors transfer requirements. The service requirements begin at that two-course point also. If you wish to submit a Certificate-Track application and have passed the two-course deadline, contact the Honors Program Office immediately.

The application is available in LRC 114, or may be downloaded from the link at left.