The curriculum in the Dance Associate Degree program is designed to provide the transfer student the opportunity to achieve an associate degree. While a baccalaureate or higher degree is recommended for those considering professional careers related to this field, earning the associate degree would demonstrate achievement and may support attempts to gain entry-level employment and promotion, whereas inexperienced graduates may not be hired. Baccalaureate major or related majors: Theatre Arts BA; Dance BFA; Bachelor of Arts in Dance with option in Dance Science. Students who successfully complete a Bachelor’s Degree in Dance may find employment in: High School Dance, Semi-professional and Professional Dance Companies, Dance Studios, Theatre Companies, and Commercial Dance.
Program Student Learning Outcomes
Students who complete this program will be able to:
- Perform basic positions and qualities with body awareness and alignment specific to the dance technique given in class.
- Demonstrate proficiency by performing movement combinations specific to the technique given in class.
- Successfully demonstrate knowledge of dance terminology through writing and various forms of expression.
- Identify technical support through the staging of choreographic works in a dance performance.
- Create dances using phrasing, variations and other elements of design in choreography.
- Demonstrate knowledge of a particular dance form through a variety of written assignments which may include: critiques, internet research, reading assignments, essays, exams and/or discussions in class.
Curriculum changes as industry standards transform. Please refer to the Saddleback College Catalog website as the following requirements may have changed since this webpage was published.
The following course of study must be completed to fulfill major requirements for the Associate Degree in Dance:
|DANC 10||Dance Production||2|
|DANC 11||Dance Rehearsal and Performance||2|
|DANC 52*||Ballet Dancing Level I||1-1.5|
|DANC 53*||Intermediate Ballet||1-1.5|
|DANC 55*||Modern Dance Level I||1-1.5|
|DANC 56*||Intermediate Modern Dance||1-1.5|
|DANC 58*||Jazz Dancing Level I||1-1.5|
|DANC 64||History of Dance||3|
|Select from Restricted Electives||5.5-8|
*Course has a prerequisite, corequisite, limitation, or recommended preparation; see course description.
DANC 51, 54, 57, 59*, 60, 61*, 62*, 63, 65, 66, 67, 68; ETT 42; KNES 28.
Associate in Arts Degree
Completion of the required courses in the major and a minimum of 60 units including the general education requirements with an overall GPA of 2.0 qualifies the student for the Associate in Arts degree. A minimum of 12 units must be completed at Saddleback College.
General Education Requirements for Associate Degrees
Refer to the Graduation Requirements or to the CSU-GE and IGETC patterns in this catalog for specific courses which meet general education requirements. Refer to ASSIST.org and to the transfer institution's catalog for transfer requirements.