Summer 2014 details will be posted in Spring 2014
June 29- July 30, 2013
Learn to communicate in the beautiful language of Don Quixote while learning the culture of Spain in the most captivating of all the cities on the north coast, Santander. You'll be sure to gain some headway toward your degree by completing a maximum of 9 semester units of transferable Spanish credits. Studying is not the only thing that Saddleback College students can do in Santander. You will also be able to take advantage of the city's miles of sandy beaches, amazing night life in the discotheques, and taste the most appetizing of "tapas."
Santander truly comes alive during the summer with multiple festivals, "La semana grande", Concerts with classical and regional music, "Martes Literarios" with world renown author such as Mario Vargas Llosa, Ana Maria Matute, "Ciclo de cine espanol" with films from directors Trueba, Gonzalez Inarritu, Armendariz, Almodovar, and art expositions with local artists and international known Picasso.
Travel excursion to Santillana del Mar, Comillas, San Vicente de la Barquera, Picos de Europa, Potes, Valle de Pas, Pre historical caves "La moneda", Guggenheim Museum in Bilbao, Lierganes, Castro Urdiales, Guernica Peace Museum in Guernica and upon arrival in Madrid, visits to the Prado Museum, Reina Sofia Museum and Plaza Mayor.
PROGRAM COMPONENTS INCLUDED IN THE STUDENT FEE:
- A transportation package consisting of international airfare (Santa Ana/John Wayne airport or LAX – Madrid – Santa Ana/John Wayne airport or LAX) with one stop and round-trip transfers overseas between the airport and the hotel in Madrid.
- 1 night in Madrid on arrival: hotel in Madrid (triple occupancy) with breakfast; Tapas tour
- Group transfers by private bus from Madrid to Santander.
- Welcome and Farewell Receptions.
- Accommodation in Santander in homestays (2 students per homestay sharing a double room).
- Three meals per day in homestays, 7 days per week, plus a weekly laundry service in the homestay (additional washes may be arranged with the homestay family for an extra cost).
- An orientation program in Santander consisting of an orientation meeting with a T&E representative, local area information.
- Spanish language classes to be held at the Colegio Miguel de Unamuno for five hours per day, Monday through Friday (100 hours of coursework).
- All of the necessary class materials (textbooks, photocopies and classroom handouts as well as complementary folder).
- Guided visits of Santander with entrance fees included
- Excursions to Santillana del Mar and Comillas, Valle del Pas and Bilbao and Picos de Europa. All excursions will include the services of an English-speaking tour guide, all entrance fees to museums and a luxury tour bus (Viajes Altamira).
- Various cultural activities in the visited cities, guitar and cooking classes once a week
- Group transfer at the end of the program from Santander to Madrid and overnight in Madrid (triple occupancy) with breakfast included.
- Access to the student computer lab located at the Colegio Miguel de Unamuno with free e-mail, printing and internet facilities.
- $50 non-refundable application fee.
- $80 USD per student for expenses in Madrid (tapas)
- Medical insurance for up to $1,000,000 Health Insurance Benefit per student.
- Accident and Sickness Insurance Benefits
- Emergency Medical Evacuation Benefit
- Repatriation of Remains Benefit
- Emergency Reunion Benefit
- 24 hour International Emergency Assistance
- Local medical insurance coverage with includes coverage for accidents while traveling between locations and during scheduled activities.
- Travel insurance for each student includes trip cancellation and trip interruption.
- $5,000,000 liability coverage with SOCCCD named as co-insured for the duration of the program.
- Phone card with 200 minutes for calls to the US for each student.
- Mobile phones provided for each student which includes a local Spanish cell number
- Accounting / billing services in the U.S.
- Pre-departure information services and a toll-free contact number in the U.S.
- Promotional materials including our full color comprehensive “T&E Acceptance and Orientation Packet”.
Advance planning services offered by our T&E office in Philadelphia and in Spain (including tutoring services)
- $5850 US Dollars per participant for an enrollment of 20 to 24 paying student participants with 1 faculty administrative visit.
- $5550 US Dollars per participant for an enrollment of 25 to 29 paying student participants with 1 faculty administrative visit.
- $5460 US Dollars per participant for an enrollment of 30 or more paying student participants with 1 faculty administrative visit.
Should SOCCCD wish to run this program with an enrollment below 20 paying student participants it would be necessary either to add a supplement to the fee above or to remove some components from the program. T&E would discuss these options with SOCCCD.
This fee includes airfare, but excludes fees and fuel surcharges which can range from $500 to $550, a $125 refundable damage deposit, passport or visa fees if applicable, meals other than those indicated on the itinerary, personal expenses, any SOCCCD tuition or administrative fees, additional fieldtrips or excursions required by the SOCCCD faculty and anything not specified. These fees are guaranteed not to change as a result of fluctuations in the $/€ exchange rate. T&E will charge a $35 returned check fee on each check returned by the bank for insufficient funds. T&E charges a 3% handling fee for all payments made via credit card.
IMPORTANT NOTE: The group airfare rate can only be guaranteed for a minimum enrollment of 10 or more students taking this option. Participants can be offered the optional return dates of August 6th and 13th 2013 however at least 10 participants must have the same return date of July 30th, 2013 (program end date).
- Single Supplement for homestay accommodation in Santander is $200.
PROGRAM APPLICATION PROCEDURE AND BILLING
- T&E would require SOCCCD to collect application forms and $450 non-refundable deposits plus airfare deposit of $250 per student and to forward them to T&E Philadelphia office by March 22nd, 2013. Penalties apply to changed program bookings after this date. Balance of airfare of $1100 must be received by April 12th 2013. Full payment and confirmation of final numbers must be received by April 20th 2013. Please note that these are not postmark dates, but the dates by which funds must arrive in the T&E Philadelphia office.
- Students who have not paid the airfare balance of by the April 12th, 2013 will be enrolled in a land only program.
- T&E reserves the right to withdraw students who are not paid in full by the final payment deadline.
- T&E can accept applications after April 26th 2013, but cannot guarantee program costs after this date. Students applying after the application deadline date of April 26th, 2013 can only be accepted on a space-available basis.
- T&E accepts payment in the form of personal check or money order and VISA, MasterCard or Discover (3% handling fees apply for all charges paid by credit card).
- T&E will reserve spaces according to information on the student application form. Once airline tickets have been issued to students they can only be changed directly with the issuing agent once the student is abroad – agent and airline-imposed penalties apply.
- T&E cannot arrange airline tickets for students applying after April 26th, 2013. T&E is financially committed to any confirmed airline seats from April 26th, 2013 and therefore an airfare review will take place prior to this date. T&E requests that SOCCCD provide an indication of how many students intend to participate on the program. However, should SOCCCD subsequently decide to offer the program but arrange their own student airfare then T&E must be notified before March 22nd 2013 and will be able to provide a land only fee.
Should an individual participant withdraw from the program they must do so in writing directly with T&E and the following policy will apply based on the date the withdrawal notice is received in our Philadelphia office.
On or before April 12th, 2013
a refund of all fees paid less $450 non-refundable application fee plus any additional non-refundable deposits paid by the student or by T&E on behalf of the student
After April 12th, 2013 but before May 3rd, 2013
a refund of all fees paid less $450 non-refundable application fee and airfare of $1350, plus an additional $310 for processing and insurance as well as any additional non-refundable deposits paid by the student or by T&E on behalf of the student
After May 3rd, 2013
- Once the program has begun students withdrawing receive no refund unless T&E suspends the program.
- It is understood that SOCCCD will not cancel the program if the necessary minimum number of participants have not been enrolled by May 3rd, 2013.
- In the of the U.S. State Department issuing a travel warning which advises U.S. citizens not to travel to Spain, or if they are already in Spain, to leave it, T&E will:
- If the If the program has not started, either makes suitable alternative arrangements or cancel the program and refund all fees paid.
- If the program has started, suspend the program and fly the student’s home. If students are returned home they will receive a prorate rebate of fees paid to T&E for the proportion of the program not completed, less the $100 processing fee, the $210 insurance premium, the $50 non-refundable application fee and any costs incurred flying the student home.
|Course No.||Course Title||Units|
|SPAN 1||Elementary Spanish||
|SPAN 2||Elementary Spanish||
|SPAN 3||Intermediate Spanish||
|SPAN 4||Intermediate Spanish||
|SPAN 6||Intermediate Spanish Grammer and Composition||
|SPAN 10||Intermediate Conversational Spanish 3||
|SPAN 20B||Civilization of Spain 1898 to Present||
|SPAN 999A||Spanish Language Lab||
|SPAN 999B||Spanish Language Lab||
Students must register for a minimum of 8.25 units. The maximum number of units allowed is 11.25.
INFORMATIONAL MEETINGS (SUM13)
|September 13, 2012||6:00 p.m.||SSC 212|
|October 11, 2012||6:00 p.m.||SSC 212|
|November 8, 2012||6:00 p.m.||SSC 212|
|December 13, 2012||6:00 p.m.||SSC 212|
|January 24, 2013||6:00 p.m.||SSC 212|
|February 28, 2013||6:00 p.m.||SSC 212|
|April 4, 2013||6:00 p.m.||SSC 212|
|May 16, 2013||6:00 p.m.||SSC 212|
|June 21, 2013||3:00 p.m.||Bravo-Karimi Tea House|
Board approved 11/19/12