Under certain circumstances, students may elect to have previously completed courses from consecutive terms disregarded in the computation of their cumulative grade point average (GPA). This process is known as academic renewal, defined in accordance with Title 5, California Code of Regulations, Sections 55763, 55765. Students may petition to have their academic record reviewed for academic renewal of substandard academic performance in consecutive terms under the following conditions:
- Students must have achieved a grade point average of 2.5 with a minimum of 30 semester units at regionally accredited colleges or universities subsequent to the substandard work in question.
- Students must not have requested or have been granted academic renewal within the SOCCCD.
- Only work completed three years or more before the date of petition may qualify for academic renewal.
- Previous substandard work will be disregarded only by the term, not the individual course; that is, all courses completed in a given term will be disregarded, including those for which the student received a passing grade.
- Only substandard semesters (below 2.0) may be considered for renewal.
- A maximum of two semesters of full-time work or 30 units of part-time work may be disregarded.
- Academic renewal may not be granted for a semester containing coursework used as a requirement for a degree, certificate, or skills award to the student within the SOCCCD.
- A petition must be filed in the Office of Admissions and Records. The Registrar or Dean of Enrollment Services is the designated authority for approval of academic renewal.
- Accompanying the petition must be evidence that the previous substandard work does not reflect the student’s current performance or capabilities.
- Previous substandard work will be disregarded. Substandard grades are defined as “D,” “F,” or “NP.”
- No more than 30 units of coursework can be considered for academic renewal.
- Such alleviation shall be permitted only after thirty (30) semester units with a 2.50 GPA have been completed and a minimum of two (2) terms have elapsed since the earning of the last substandard grades to be alleviated. Work from other accredited colleges may be considered for calculating their GPA.
- When coursework is disregarded in the computation of the cumulative GPA, the student’s academic record will be annotated; all coursework remains on record, ensuring a true and complete academic history. Academic renewal actions are irreversible.
Academic renewal procedures shall not conflict with the District’s obligation to retain and destroy records or with the instructor’s ability to determine a student’s final grade.