Academic Renewal


Under certain circumstances, students may elect to have previously completed courses from consecutive terms disregarded in the computation of their cumulative grade point average (GPA). This process is known as academic renewal, defined in accordance with Title 5, California Code of Regulations, Sections 55763, 55765. Various restrictions apply, including the following:Testimonial

  • A petition must be filed in the Office of Admissions and Records.
  • Accompanying the petition must be evidence that (a) previous work in question was substandard (less than C or the equivalent), and (b) the previous substandard work does not reflect the student's current performance or capabilities.
  • Previous substandard work will be disregarded only by the term, not by the individual course-that is, all courses completed in a given term will be disregarded, including those for which the student received a passing grade.
  • No more than two semesters or three quarters of full-time work or 30 units of part-time work may be disregarded.
  • Only work completed three years or more before the date of petition may qualify for academic renewal.
  • The student must have completed a minimum of 30 semester units at regionally accredited colleges or universities with a 2.50 GPA subsequent to the substandard work in question.
  • When coursework is disregarded in the computation of the cumulative GPA, the student's academic record will be annotated; all coursework remains legible, ensuring a true and complete academic history.
  • Academic renewal by the South Orange County Community College District does not guarantee that other institutions will approve such action. This determination will be made by the respective transfer institutions.
  • A student may request academic renewal only once.