CHEMISTRY SCHOLARSHIP FOUNDATION
Scholarship awards through the Science Scholarship Foundation of up to $750 per month for two years are available to eligible Saddleback students for use after they transfer to a four-year college or university. The number of scholarships awarded depends upon the qualifications of the applicants and the funds available for that particular year. Financial need is not a criteria for this scholarship, however it may be considered in making final selections. The Foundation instituted by a former Saddleback student who thought highly of chemistry in general and Saddleback's Chemistry Department in particular. The program was intended to encourage and assist chemistry students in pursuing careers in chemistry.
When to Apply
Students in their final Spring Semester at Saddleback College may obtain an application for a scholarship from Dr. Fier in SM 255 during posted office hours. Applications will be available in February and must be completed and returned to Dr. Fier by the end of the first week in March of the same year.
To be eligible for a Foundation Scholarship, a student...
- must be a citizen of the United States
- cannot be a Trustee of the Foundation, a member of the Board of Selection or a relative of any Trustee or member of the Board of Selection.
- must have completed Chemistry courses 1A, 1B, 12A, and 12B at Saddleback College and have attained at least a 3.5 g.p.a. in these courses.
- must have completed Math 3A, 3B, and 3C, Physics 4A and 4B at Saddleback College (or equivalent courses at other institutions) an have attained a 3.0 gpa in these five courses.
- will attend an accredited four-year college or university on a full-time basis and be enrolled either in an ACS-approved chemistry program leading to a B.S. in chemistry, or a program in biochemistry or chemical engineering acceptable to the Board of Selection.
Scholarship Recipient Obligations
Students who have been awarded a Foundation Scholarship have obligations to uphold in order to continue receiving funds. Scholarship recipients must..
- submit proof of enrollment at the beginning of each term at the four-year college or university.
- submit a list of the classes required for the approved B.S. degree at the recipient's four-year college or university and a plan detailing how the student plans to complete these courses within two years.
- submit an official transcript at the end of each term as soon as the transcript becomes available.
- maintain acceptable academic progress toward the approved B.S. degree and at least a 3.0 grade point average in major's classes.
The Board of Selection at Saddleback College chooses the recipients. At present the following three full-time Saddleback College faculty members comprise the Board of Selection: Mr. Karl Abrams (General Chemistry Professor), Dr. Scott Fier (General Chemistry Professor), and Dr.Curt McLendon (General Chemistry Professor).