Registration is now open for adult and kid’s classes through Saddleback College’s Community Education Department, which offers short-term, fee-based classes that are not for college credit. Spring classes begin as early as January 7th, 2013. The complete program can be found online at saddleback.edu/ce/documents/SP13_Catalog.pdf.
This spring, several new classes are being offered, including five crisis management courses, Mandarin for kids, and travel tours.
Crisis Management – There are five crisis management courses being offered for anyone aged 18 or older. The workshops meet 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. on Saturday and Sunday. The fee for each course is $250 plus a materials fee.
- Assisting Individuals in Crisis meets on January 26th and 27th, 2013. Participants will learn the fundamentals of individual crisis intervention.
- Group Crisis Intervention meets on February 23rd and 24th, 2013. Participants will acquire the knowledge to provide group crisis interventions, follow up services, and referrals.
- Suicide Prevention, Intervention, and Postvention meets on March 23rd and 24th, 2013. This class will provide basic information about suicide, common suicide myths, risk factors for suicide behavior, and effective intervention strategies.
- Grief Following Trauma meets on April 27th and 28th, 2013. Participants will learn how trauma impacts the grief process and gain the skills necessary for evaluating and supporting those who have experience trauma.
- Applied Suicide Intervention Skills Training meets on May 25th and 26th. This course is designed for caregivers who want to feel more comfortable in helping to prevent the immediate risk of suicide.
Parent and Me: Adventure through China, is a Mandarin class for parents and their children ages two through five. Participants will learn Mandarin phrases and works through games, songs, stories, and crafts. A Chinese Language Adventure is for kids ages six through 12. Students will learn the Mandarin language spoken by professionals and in schools throughout China. Both classes meet on Wednesday afternoons, January 23rd through March 20th. The fee for each course is $130 plus a $25 materials fee.
Travel Tours with Good Times Travel – There are several day-trips and multi-day tours being offered for anyone aged 18 or older. Trips include a walking tour of the Federal Reserve Bank’s Los Angeles location, a champagne brunch at the Magic Castle in Los Angeles, a tea lunch aboard the Queen Mary and a tour of the Princess Diana exhibit, a seven-day tour from Seattle to Portland, and a three-day trip to Yosemite.
For more information or to register for any of these programs, visit the Saddleback College Community Education website at www.saddleback.edu/ce or call (949) 582-4646 after January 2nd, 2013.