WHAT IS A CRISIS?
A psychological crisis is a life event that an individual perceives as stressful to the extent that normal coping mechanisms are insufficient. The CIT members have always been at the forefront of providing personal counseling, guidance, and referring students to the most appropriate resources available both on campus and off campus.
CRISIS INTERVENTION TEAM (CIT)
The Crisis Intervention Team (CIT) is composed of professional counselors from Saddleback College Counseling Center and the Student Health Center. The CIT counselors are available to assist when a Saddleback student or staff member experiences a psychological emergency and is in need of immediate help. This service is primarily intended for students and staff only. However, the CIT members may be called in for a non-student community member visiting on campus who may be experiencing a psychological crisis. Any question you have regarding the CIT may be referred to the Dean of Counseling Services Division or the Vice President for Student Services.
Counseling Services Division . 582-4572
The Health Center . 582-4606
Campus Police . 582-4444
WHAT TO DO?
Follow these guidelines for handling difficult situations:
- Trust your instincts.
- Be familiar with the student code of conduct. (See Student Handbook or Saddleback College Catalog)
- Do not hesitate to call Campus Police at 949.582.4444
- If you think a student might be suicidal, DO NOT LEAVE THE STUDENT ALONE! You may be the critical link in assisting the student. Know that whatever the situation is, campus resources are available.
- Listen to what the student is saying.
- Assess the situation for unusual emotions, behavior, and thoughts.
- Refer the student to one of the resources identified BELOW for assistance.
- Use any campus pay phone to call: *80
- Or use a Red Emergency Call Box located in most large buildings on campus.
IMPORTANT REFERRAL NUMBERS
|Department or Service||Phone Number|
|Campus Police||(949) 582-4444 (Emergency)|
|Health Center||(949) 582-4606|
|Crisis Intervention Team||(949) 582-HELP (4357)|
|Vice President for Student Services||(949) 582-4566|
|Dean of Counseling||(949) 582-4572|
|Special Services||(949) 582-4885|
|Child Abuse Hotline (24 hrs)||(714) 940-1000|
|Rape Crisis Hotline (24 hrs)||(949) 831-9110|
|Suicide Prevention Hotline||(800) 784-2433|
|Suicide Crisis Hotline||(714) 894-4242|
|Domestic Violence Hotline||(800) 799-7233
|Alcoholic Anonymous||(949) 582-2697 (South Co.)
(714) 773-4357 (North Co.)
(714) 556-4555 (Santa Ana)
|Battered Women||(949) 854-3554|
|Narcotics Anonymous||(714) 776-8581|