The mission of Saddleback College’s Basic Skills Initiative is to explore, identify, and address the needs of basic skills students. BSI funding allocations directly support a coordinated expansion of academic and student support services that will facilitate the successful transition of basic skills students into college-level coursework.
Approved as of January 29th: BSI Mission and Core Values
Next BSI Meeting - April 23, 2015 in AGB 106
The next BSI Meeting will be held on Thursday, April 23, 2015 from 3 p.m. to 4:30 p.m. in AGB 106.
Important: Christina Hinkle, Director of Learning Assistance, will be serving as interim BSI coordinator and facilitator of the BSI proposals for 2015 - 2016. This position will have a faculty co-chair (to be selected in the near future).
Tentative BSI projects for 2015 - 2016 include:
- Embedded Tutoring - Math, English, and ESL
- Embedded Librarians for key classes in Basic Skills
- Refresh Program
- Student Mentors
- Professional Development for faculty
- Student Tutorials for Points of Need
Additional Funding Sources: Student Equity and DSP&S can and will be used to augment BSI projects that align with their criteria.
Statewide Basic Skills Report: Due on July 31st
Saddleback College Statistics
- Instructional Offerings: Fall 2012, 2013, and 2014
- Developmental Education - Basic Skills: Fall 2012, 2013, and 2014
BSI Meeting Dates/Highlights for 2014 - 2015
Meeting Dates and Highlights for Fall 2014
- Thursday, August 28 – Meeting Highlights
- Thursday, September 25 - Meeting Highlights
- Thursday, October 23 - Meeting Highlights
- Thursday, November 20 - Meeting Highlights.
- December - Happy Holidays (NO MTG.)
Meeting Dates for Spring 2015
- Thursday, January 29 - Meeting Highlights.
- Thursday, February 26 - Meeting Highlights.
- Thursday, March 12 - Meeting Highlights.
- Thursday, April 23 - BSI Committee - Final Proposal Selection and Approval
- Basic Skills Allocations by District/College for 2014 - 2015
- Saddleback College - Basic Skills Projects for 2011 - 2015
BSI Committee Members
|Sumaya McCleave, MS&E||Sarah Chang, CS||Penny Skaff, CS|
|Bruce Gilman, LA||Marina Aminy, LA||Leslie Humphrey - Outreach|
|Carrie Goulding, LA||Michael Hoggatt, TC &SP||Janet Bagwell, LA|
|Chris McDonald, MS&E||Kevin O'Connor, LA||Cadence Wynter, SBS|
|Deanna Valdez, MS&E||Christina Hinkle, OELR||Patti Flanigan, OELR|
|Carol Bander, LA||Jerilyn Chuman, CS||Maria Teresa Romero, SBS|
|Larry Perez, MS&E||Jack Beckman, LA||Estella Garrison-Castillo|
Pertinent Reading Materials for Basic Skills
Saddleback College - Five Year Cycle - BSI Student Success and Retention Rates
Basic Skills Student Support and Resources
Saddleback College - Student Health Center
California Community College Chancellor's Office - Basic Skills Progress Tracker
BSI Administrative Support
BSI Administrative Support
Our BSI administrative support is Debby Snyder
Debby's Schedule: Monday - Friday, 9:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m.
Office Location: LRC 205
Telephone Extension: (949) 348-6084
Email Address: email@example.com
Primary Job Responsibilities: Create faculty stipends, process paperwork for the hiring of part-time classified staff, manage payroll/time sheets for faculty and staff, maintain BSI web site, monitor BSI budget, assist with tracking and assessment of BSI projects, coordinate publicity for the BSI projects, and support BSI project coordinators with their specific project needs.