The mission of Saddleback's Basic Skills Initiative is to establish a comprehensive and interactive college-wide approach to building students' basic skills to prepare them for success with college-level coursework while supporting them to reach their educational goals. Faculty and staff across the disciplines provide this supportive foundation by using the best practices in basic skills' education (i. e. reading, writing, math, ESL and student services support).
Next BSI Meeting - January 29, 2015 in AGB 106
The next BSI Meeting will be held on Thursday, January 29, 2015 from 3 p.m. to 4:30 p.m. in AGB 106.
Plan Ahead: For this meeting, we will be discussing:
- Our mission and core values for BSI
- How best to allocate the BSI funds for 2015 - 2016 to maximize support of our Basic Skills students.
Draft: BSI Mission and Core Values
BSI Meeting Dates/Highlights for 2014 - 2015
Meeting Dates and Highlights for Fall 2014
- Thursday, August 28 – Meeting Highlights
- Thursday, September 25 - Meeting Highlights
- Thursday, October 23 - Meeting Highlights
- Thursday, November 20 - Meeting Highlights.
- December - Happy Holidays (NO MTG.)
Meeting Dates for Spring 2015
- Thursday, January 29 - Regular Committee Mtg.
- Thursday, February 26 - Regular Committee Mtg.
- Thursday, March 12 - Regular Committee Mtg.
- Thursday, April 9 - Presentations of Proposals for 2015 - 2016 in LRC 314 (Room Change)
- Thursday, April 23 - BSI Committee - Final Approval of Proposals
- Basic Skills Allocations by District/College for 2014 - 2015
- Saddleback College - Basic Skills Projects for 2011 - 2015
BSI Committee Members
|Shellie Ochi, LA||Sarah Chang, CS||Penny Skaff, CS|
|Bruce Gilman, LA||Marina Aminy, LA||Leslie Humphrey - Outreach|
|Carrie Goulding, LA||Michael Hoggatt, TC &SP||Janet Bagwell, LA|
|Chris McDonald, MS&E||Kevin O'Connor, LA||Cadence Wynter, SBS|
|Deanna Valdez, MS&E||Christina Hinkle, OELR||Patti Flanigan, OELR|
|Carol Bander, LA||Jerilyn Chuman, CS||Maria Teresa Romero, SBS|
|Larry Perez, MS&E||Jack Beckman, LA||Sumaya McCleave, MS&E|
Pertinent Reading Materials for Basic Skills
Saddleback College - Five Year Cycle - BSI Student Success and Retention Rates
Basic Skills Student Support and Resources
Saddleback College - Student Health Center
California Community College Chancellor's Office - Basic Skills Progress Tracker
BSI Administrative Support
BSI Administrative Support
Our BSI administrative support is Debby Snyder
Debby's Schedule: Monday - Friday, 9:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m.
Office Location: LRC 205
Telephone Extension: (949) 348-6084
Email Address: email@example.com
Primary Job Responsibilities: Create faculty stipends, process paperwork for the hiring of part-time classified staff, manage payroll/time sheets for faculty and staff, maintain BSI web site, monitor BSI budget, assist with tracking and assessment of BSI projects, coordinate publicity for the BSI projects, and support BSI project coordinators with their specific project needs.