The mission of Saddleback College’s Basic Skills Initiative is to explore, identify, and address the needs of basic skills students. BSI funding allocations directly support a coordinated expansion of academic and student support services that will facilitate the successful transition of basic skills students into college-level coursework.
Approved as of January 29th 2015: BSI Mission and Core Values
BSI Co-Chairs for 2016 - 2017
Co-Chair: Marina Aminy, Dean OELR
Email Address: email@example.com
Co-Chair: Michelle Duffy, Reading Instructor
Email Address: firstname.lastname@example.org
BSI Administrative Support
Administrative Support: Christie Smead
Office Location: LRC220
Telephone Extension: (949) 348-6084
Email Address: email@example.com
BSI Project Information
Additional Funding Sources: Student Equity and DSPS can and will be used to augment BSI projects that align with their criteria.
Statewide Basic Skills Report: Due on August 30, 2016
Saddleback College Statistics
- Instructional Offerings: Fall 2012, 2013, and 2014
- Developmental Education - Basic Skills: Fall 2012, 2013, and 2014
BSI Meeting Dates/Highlights for 2016 - 2017
BSI Meeting Dates for 2016-2017 will be held in LRC 337 (unless otherwise stated) from 3 pm to 4:30 pm and are as follows:
Meeting Dates for Fall 2016
- Monday, August 15 - First Meeting of the 16/17 academic year; open to all faculty
- Thursday, September 15 - Regular Committee Mtg.
- Thursday, October 13 - Regular Committee Mtg.
- Thursday, November 10 - Regular Committee Mtg.
- December - Happy Holidays (No Meeting.)
Meeting Dates for Spring 2017
- Tuesday, January 10 - Spring Flex Week BSI Presentation BGS 200, 4 pm - 5 pm
- Thursday, February 9 - Regular Committee Mtg.
- Thursday, March 9 - Regular Committee Mtg.
- Thursday, April 13 - Regular Committee Mtg.
- Basic Skills Allocations by District/College for 2014 - 2015
- Saddleback College - Basic Skills Projects for 2011 - 2015
BSI Committee Members for 2016 - 2017
|Marina Aminy, OELR||Janet Bagwell, LA||Jack Beckham, LA|
|Estella Castillo-Garrison, CE, E & K12||Sheryl Christensen, Counseling||Michelle Duffy, LA|
|Carrie Goulding, LA||Catherine Hayter, LA||Christina Hinkle, OELR|
|Michael Hoggatt, TC & SP||Leslie Humphrey-Quirk, Outreach||Sumaya McCleave, MS&E|
|Julie McGirr, LA||Kevin O'Connor, LA||Maria Teresa Romero, SBS|
|Penny Skaff, CS||Cora Swanson, OELR||Lisa Tran, CS|
|Deanna Valdez, MS&E||Cadence Wynter, SBS|
Pertinent Reading Materials for Basic Skills
Saddleback College - Five Year Cycle - BSI Student Success and Retention Rates
Basic Skills Student Support and Resources
California Community College Chancellor's Office - Basic Skills Progress Tracker