The mission of Saddleback College’s Basic Skills Initiative is to explore, identify, and address the needs of basic skills students. BSI funding allocations directly support a coordinated expansion of academic and student support services that will facilitate the successful transition of basic skills students into college-level coursework.
Approved as of January 29th: BSI Mission and Core Values
BSI Coordinator and Co-chair for 2015 - 2016
Coordinator: Christina Hinkle, Director of Learning Assistance
Email Address: firstname.lastname@example.org
Co-chair: Deanna Valdez, Mathematics Instructor
Email Address: email@example.com
BSI Administrative Support
Administrative Support: Christie Smead
Office Location: LRC220
Telephone Extension: (949) 348-6048
Email Address: firstname.lastname@example.org
BSI Project Information
Additional Funding Sources: Student Equity and DSPS can and will be used to augment BSI projects that align with their criteria.
Statewide Basic Skills Report: Due on July 31, 2015
Saddleback College Statistics
- Instructional Offerings: Fall 2012, 2013, and 2014
- Developmental Education - Basic Skills: Fall 2012, 2013, and 2014
BSI Meeting Dates/Highlights for 2015 - 2016
BSI Meeting Dates for 2015-2016 will be held in LRC 337 (unless otherwise stated) from 3 pm to 4:30 pm and are as follows:
Meeting Dates for Fall 2015
- Thursday, October 8 – Regular Committee Mtg.
- Thursday, November 12 - Regular Committee Mtg.
- December - Happy Holidays (No Meeting.)
Meeting Dates for Spring 2016
- Thursday, February 11 - Regular Committee Mtg.
- Thursday, March 10 - Regular Committee Mtg. Location to be confirmed
- Thursday, April 14 - Regular Committee Mtg. Location to be confirmed
- Basic Skills Allocations by District/College for 2014 - 2015
- Saddleback College - Basic Skills Projects for 2011 - 2015
BSI Committee Members for 2015 - 2016
|Sumaya McCleave, MS&E||Sarah Chang, CS||Penny Skaff, CS|
|Bruce Gilman, LA||Marina Aminy, OELR||Leslie Humphrey - Outreach|
|Carrie Goulding, LA||Michael Hoggatt, TC &SP||Janet Bagwell, LA|
|Chris McDonald, MS&E||Kevin O'Connor, LA||Cadence Wynter, SBS|
|Deanna Valdez, MS&E||Christina Hinkle, OELR||Maria Teresa Romero, SBS|
|Jack Beckham, LA||Estella Garrison-Castillo, CE, E & K12||Julie McNirr, LA|
Pertinent Reading Materials for Basic Skills
Saddleback College - Five Year Cycle - BSI Student Success and Retention Rates
Basic Skills Student Support and Resources
California Community College Chancellor's Office - Basic Skills Progress Tracker