Saddleback College Distance Education Committee
The focus on the Distance Education Committee at Saddleback College is to develop policies and encourage practices that contribute to the quality and growth of distance and online education at Saddleback College. The committee chairperson is the DE coordinator, Jenny Langrell, at email@example.com.
To explore best practices in distance/online education and to make recommendations to the Distance Education Committee, a small group of faculty, staff, and administrators was formed in Spring 2013. This Online Education Workgroup is open to all faculty, staff, and administrators. The contact person for this workgroup is Dr. Patricia Flanigan, Dean of Online Education and Learning Resources, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Online Education Workgroup - Goal and Driving Forces
Goal: Under the direction of the Distance Education Committee and in coordination with the Academic Senate, Faculty Association, and District Online Education Committee, explore and recommend guidelines, procedures, and best teaching and learning practices for Online Education at Saddleback College.
Driving Forces: New Accreditation Standards, U.S. Department of Education – Regulations for Online Education, Student Success Initiative, and our Commitment to Excellence
**Open to all interested Saddleback College faculty and staff
- Marina Aminy, Professor and Department Chairperson, English
- Allison Camelot, Professor and Department Chairperson, Sociology
- Kathy Damm, Institute for Teaching and Learning and Professor, Psychology
- Rebecca Black, Professor, English, UCI, and Part-time Faculty Member, English
- Claire Cesareo, President Elect, Faculty Association, Professor, Anthropology
- Caroline Durdella, Director of Planning, Research, and Accreditation
- Patti Flanigan, Dean of Online Education and Learning Resources
- Caroline Gee, Professor, Psychology
- Jenny Langrell, Distance Education Coordinator, Systems Librarian
- Kris Leppien-Christensen, Curriculum Chair and Professor, Psychology
- Brett Myhren, Professor, English
- Maria Teresa Romero, Professor, History
- Valerie Senior, CIDDE
- Patty Wallin, Professor, Mathematics
- Cadence Wynter, Dean of Social and Behavioral Sciences
Meeting Dates for Spring 2014
Next Meeting Date: April 14th from 1:30 p.m. to 3 p.m. in LRC 337
Meeting Dates for Spring 2014
- April 14th from 1:30 p.m. to 3 p.m. in LRC 337
**Meeting location will be subject to change based upon participation.
Action Steps for Fall 2013 and Spring 2014
- Explore and review current guidelines, procedures, and practices for Online Education from diverse institutions of higher education.
- Work in consultation with all constituency groups on campus/district to establish a set of recommendations for best guidelines, procedures, and practices for Online Education.
- Create a Distance Education Handbook for Saddleback College of approved guidelines, procedures, and practices for Online Education.
- Establish and implement professional development opportunities designed to strengthen online teaching and learning at Saddleback College.
- Website: Online Education: Guidelines, Procedures, and Learning Opportunities
- Recommendations: Set of recommended guidelines, procedures, and practicies for Online Education
- Handbook: College/District approved guidelines, procedures, and practices for Online Education
- Professional Development Activities: Series of workshops, activities, and learning opportunities on best teaching and learning practices in Online Education