SOCIAL & BEHAVIORAL SCIENCES DIVISION
Division Meeting - Flex Week
Thursday, 16 January 2014
Guest Speaker: Elyssa Oransky, Director of Annual Giving/Development, Saddleback Foundation
- Elyssa Oransky from the Saddleback Foundation office explained that each division needs to let the Foundation know of any needs they may have. Some of the SBS needs suggested by faculty are:
- Additional classroom space
- Office and meeting space for part-time faculty
- Storage space
- Funds to library to remain open for students after 5:00pm
- Underwriting for field study classes—supplement cost of field course
- Annual Gala - Passport to the Future - will take place on Saturday, April 12 at 6:00pm at the Marriott Laguna Cliffs Resort & Spa. Departments are encouraged to buy tables at $125 per seat, $1250 for a table seating ten people, and costs include dinner, but no alcohol. There will be a live auction, silent auction, gaming tables, and entertainment. The Foundation is looking for auction items.
- Micael Merrifield Memorial Scholarship Ken Woodward announced that the Micael Merrifield Memorial Scholarship has been created and $10,000 is needed for it to become a permanently endowed scholarship, which would be awarded yearly. The Foundation will match each $250 donated. Payroll deductions can also be arranged. Please refer to the Foundation Facebook page for more information. Ken Woodward and Claire Cesareo will co-write an information letter for distribution among faculty.
- Retirement After more than twenty years of teaching at Saddleback College, David DiLeo retired at the end of the Fall 2013 semester. He is taking the Spring 2014 semester off and may return to teach part-time in Fall 2014.
- New Part-time Faculty This semester there are four new part-time faculty members in the SBS Division. Three full-time faculty positions, all replacements, have been advertised and interviews are scheduled during the Spring 2014 semester.
- SBS Division Office Remodel The SBS Division Office remodel is back on track. Three work desks will be added in the faculty workroom. The printer, copier and Scantron machines will move from the work room to the front area behind the reception area in the Division Office and partially separated from the walkway with a partition wall. The sofa will be moved to the area by the front doorway. The work is scheduled to take place 13 – 17 February.
- President and Vice President of Instruction President Tod Burnett and Dr. Kathy Werle stopped by the meeting to thank everyone for all their hard work during 2013. They listened and responded to comments and questions posed by the faculty.
- Staff Parking - An area in the “bowl” between the HS and BGS buildings has been designated for staff parking. Staff and faculty are encouraged to park there and not in student parking slots.
- Enrollment is down from last year. Funding will be the same for next academic year.
- Special Services is looking extend their office hours as they are currently open until 3:00pm.
- Films on Demand currently costs the SBS Division over $11,000 each year. The SBS faculty present voted to continue to subscribe to Films on Demand, as it is a heavily used resource.
- Commercial Shredder The Office of Instruction is considering purchasing a heavy duty shredder that will be placed in a central location. In the interim, the SBS Division will utilize a local shredding service and a locked shredding bin will be placed in the mailroom.
- Student Success Coordinating Committee (SSCC) Renee Garcia is the SBS Division Representative to the Student Success Coordinating Committee (SSCC). June Millovich will be the alternate. Please take any comments or questions about the SSCC to Renee.
Course Syllabi Faculty are reminded that course syllabi must follow the Course Outline of
Record, the course description must appear verbatim on the syllabus, and Student Learning
Outcomes should be included.
Spring 2014 Division Meetings
2nd Thursday in each month from 1:30-2:30 p.m.
13 February (meeting cancelled); 13 March; 10 April; 8 May - Division Luncheon