Education Department

The Education department prepares students for a diverse range of teaching opportunities at a variety of levels. The program provides support for those just entering the field as well as to those who are already working in the classroom and community. Courses in this department may meet the early fieldwork and coursework requirements of the California Commission on Teacher Credentialing.

Department Information
Phone: (949) 582-4208


Christina Smith View profile information for Staff Member Faculty Website
Department Chair
Office BGS 103
(949) 582-4208

Earn your AA-T in Elementary Teacher Education

Transfer with a Guarantee

For required coursework to earn an AA-T in Elementary Teacher Education.

Do you want to be an Elementary or Secondary Teacher?

If you are interested in becoming an Elementary or Secondary School Teacher

EDUC 90- Intro to Elementary Education (3 units)
Introduces concepts and issues related to teaching diverse learners in today's contemporary schools, Kindergarten through grade 12 (K-12). In addition to class time, the course requires 45 hours of structured fieldwork in approved public school classrooms.

EDUC 41 (Formerly EDUC 115)-Secondary School Teaching (4units)
This course provides an overview of the teaching profession for students who are considering a career in secondary education. 40 hours of fieldwork will be required.

EDUC 118- Exceptional Children (3 units)
An introduction to special education for K-12 students. Offers a survey and study of various characteristics of exceptional children. The primary focus will be on the categories of children with disabilities, but will include children at risk, and children from culturally diverse backgrounds.

EDUC 131- Educational Psychology (3 units)
Focuses on the basic principles of psychology that are pertinent to education, including abilities, intelligence, social and emotional factors and principles of learning.

Visit Teach California, to learn the different pathways to become a teacher. This website is administered by the California Department of Education.


To earn a Multiple Subjects (Elementary) or Single Subjects (Middle or High School) Credential you must attend a 4 year university.

It is recommended you visit the Transfer Center for information on how to transfer to a 4 year university.

Related Programs

Child Development Department