Frequently Asked Questions

What services does the Student Health Fee cover?

The Student Health Center offers quality, confidential medical health care and psychological therapy for all currently enrolled students, who have paid their student health fee. Seeing a physician, nurse or mental health therapist is always free (low cost fees apply to some procedures, tests, labs and prescriptions). The student health fee includes treatment for acute, short term illnesses, health education, referrals as needed, injuries, and general health screening, including women's health and mental health therapy. The student health fee covers the cost of on-campus student accident insurance.
*The health fee is not a substitute for health insurance.

Every student enrolled in classes at Saddleback College pays a $19 Health Fee for regular semesters and a $16 Health Fee for each summer session. This fee covers most direct health services received in the Student Health Center and the cost of on-campus student accident insurance. The Health Fee also allows us to offer laboratory tests, some prescription medications and, some immunizations at minimal costs to students.

Who can be seen in the Student Health Center?

All students, currently enrolled in classes held on-campus at Saddleback College, who have paid a Health Fee or are BOGW recipients are eligible to use Student Health Center services. Enrollment status will be verified at each visit. Students who have dropped or withdrawn from classes are not eligible for services.

What can you do for me in the Student Health Center?

Our services include treatment for minor injuries and illnesses. We offer immunizations against tetanus, diptheria, measles, mumps, rubella and Hepatitis B. We do testing for pregnancy, HIV/AIDS, sexually transmitted diseases, tuberculosis, and other conditions. Limited prescription and over-the-counter medications are available when recommended by a Center Healthcare Provider, and we dispense free condoms. Personal counseling services are available on a short-term basis. We can make referrals to community agencies or help you find appropriate local resources to assist you with your more acute or chronic conditions.

Can I get my prescriptions filled at the Health Center?

No, Student Health Services does not offer pharmaceutical services. Prescriptions must be filled at local pharmacies.

Can my family be seen in the Health Center?

We treat only currently enrolled students because the Student Health Center is directly supported by the student paid Health Fee.

How do I get to see a doctor, counselor, or nurse?

You can schedule an appointment with one of our Healthcare Providers by calling 949-582-4606 or by visiting the front desk in the Student Health Center, Student Services Building - Room SSC177.

How long is the wait to see a doctor, nurse, or counselor?

A Registered Nurse staffs the Health Center during all open hours. Same Day Appointments with a RN are usually available. Physician and Counselor hours vary and are limited. Generally, an appointment with a Family Physician is available within 1 to 5 days, a Gynecologist within 2 weeks, and a Counselor within 1 week.

Does the Health Fee cover medical insurance?

The Health Fee pays for an on-campus accident insurance program. This means Sadlleback students are covered for accidental injuries that occur on campus or during sanctioned Saddleback events. There is no extended health insurance available through the college. It is recommended that you carry private health insurance. We do have suggestions for vendors of insurance products at reasonable rates. Please come to the Health Center to pick up brochures from insurance companies that offer low cost insurance to California Community College and University students.

I will be transferring soon and the college/university I will be attending has health requirements. Can you help?

Definitely! The Student Health Center will evaluate your documented vaccination history, provide required immunizations or document immunity with laboratory testing, and perform other physical assessments as required for admission by a particular college or university.