On May 2, 2014 the Saddleback College Student Development Office will host our inaugural Dance Against Cancer from 9:00am-9:00pm on the Quad. The event is a fundraiser and charitible leadership and involvement opportunity for students.
What is the Dance Against Cancer?
It's a day-long dance relay marathon to raise funds and awareness for childhood cancers sponsored by the Student Development Office at Saddleback College. It's an opportunity to get together with friends, build community, dance, and give back.The event is continuous and teams must have a dancer on the floor at all times in order to maintain eligibility for completion prizes.
What charities are involved?
This year we are supporting the St. Baldrick's Foundation and Be the Match.
Why the St. Baldrick's Foundation?
- The St. Baldrick's Foundation is a volunteer-driven charity dedicated to raising money for life-saving childhood cancer research and funds more in childhood cancer grants than any organization except for the U.S. government. Since the Foundation's first grants as an independent charity in 2005, St. Baldrick's has funded more than $127 million to support the most brilliant childhood cancer research experts in the world.
Why Be The Match?
- Be The Match® is a global leader in bone marrow transplantation. We conduct research to improve transplant outcomes provide support and resources for patients, and partner with a global network.
Why childhood cancers?
Cancer kills more kids in the U.S. than any other disease and most other life-threatening illnesses combined.
When and where is the event?
May 2 from 9:00am-9:00pm at Saddleback College on the main Quad.Teams must be registered in order to participate.
How does the Dance Against Cancer work?
- MAKE A TEAM: Form of team of at least 2 people
- TEAM ID: Create a team identity with a name, dance costumes, etc.
- TEAM SIGN-UP: Sign up your team
- CHOOSE A CHARITY: Each team member will choose to support either the St. Baldrick's Foundation or the Be The Match Foundation
- Each team member must create a profile or donate to their chosen charitable organization:
- FUNDRAISE: Solicit dance sponsorships from family, friends and community members. Each team member supports their own fundraising efforts. Top fundraisers compete for prizes!
- PRACTICE: The Dance Against Cancer is a relay dance marathon so one team member must be on the dance floor at ALL times. You'll want to practice and create a line-up with time slots and assignments.
- DANCE: On May 2nd we will have great music, a food truck, competitions, head shavings, and team prizes!
Questions? Email us at email@example.com