DO YOU WANT TO BE A TEACHER?
The Teacher Preparation Program (TPP) provides support services for students pursuing a career in teaching. These support services include specialized academic counseling, university representative appointments, campus tours, workshops, teacher examination information, job announcements for future teachers, scholarships, volunteer opportunities, classroom fieldwork courses, and the Student California Teacher Association (SCTA) Future Teachers Club.
Location: Transfer Center - SSC 225B [map]
Phone: (949) 582-4328
The Teacher Preparation Program (TPP) is a grant funded program from the California Community Colleges Chancellor's Office.
EDUC 41 - SECONDARY SCHOOL TEACHING
History, philosophy and sociology of secondary education. Introduction to the California Teaching Performance Expectations and Assessments; needs of special populations, English learners, and struggling readers; content standards including Career Technical Education; and major curriculum reform documents. In addition, students will gain experience through 40 hours of required field work as follows: 30 hours at one site and 10 hours in various other sites/activities (formerly EDUC 115).
EDUC 90 - INTRO TO ELEMENTARY EDUCATION
Recommended Preparation: ENG 300, 340, CD 107
Introduces concepts and issues related to teaching diverse learners in today’s contemporary schools, Kindergarten through grade 12 (K-12). Topics include teaching as a profession and career, historical and philosophical foundations of the American education system, contemporary educational issues, California’s content standards and frameworks, and teacher performance standards. In addition to class time, the course requires a minimum of 45 hours of structured fieldwork in public school classrooms that represent California’s diverse student population, and includes cooperation with at least one carefully selected and campus-approved certificated classroom teacher.
EDUC 118 - EXCEPTIONAL CHILDREN
Recommended Preparation: ENG 200 and 340
An introduction to special education for K-12 students. Offers a survey and study of various characteristics of exceptional children. The primary focus will be on the categories of children with disabilities, but will include children at risk, and children from culturally diverse backgrounds.
EDUC 131 - EDUCATIONAL PSYCHOLOGY
Recommended Preparation: ENG 200 and 340
Focuses on the basic principles of psychology that are pertinent to education, including abilities, intelligence, social and emotional factors, and principles of learning.
FUTURE TEACHER CLUB (SCTA)
Student California Teachers Association
The SCTA club provides a way for future teachers to connect with each other at Saddleback College. SCTA members attend teacher conferences, social events, and community events. SCTA offers its members scholarships and free airfare and lodging for SCTA conferences.
SCTA Community Service Opportunities:
SCTA students volunteer at Kinoshita Elementary School in San Juan Capistrano. Opportunities to work with small groups or individual students.
SCTA Executive Board Members:
SCTA Facebook (Coming Soon!)
FUTURE TEACHER JOB SEARCH / VOLUNTEER OPPORTUNITIES
1. Boys and Girls Club of Capistrano Valley
*Paid or volunteer positions
*Variety of Programs - Arts, Technology, Homework Club, and Sports
*2 Locations - Aliso Viejo and San Juan Capistrano
2. Volunteer at Kinoshita Elementary School in San Juan Capistrano
*Hours tailored to your schedule
*Cheerful, positive environment
*No special skills needed
*Help as little as one hour/week
*Change young lives!
Kinoshita Elementary School
2 Via Positiva
(near the Boys’ and Girls’ Club)
San Juan Capistrano, CA
To learn more or to volunteer, contact:
Home Office: 949 493-1529
3. The Y: We're for youth development, healthy living and social responsibility.
Visit the following webpage for job descriptions of Childcare and Teaching positions:
4. Mathnasium of Ladera Ranch
*Math tutor for all levels
*Hours of availability: Monday – Friday 2-8 PM, Saturday 10 AM-2 PM
*Salary Range: Based on experience and education - $12-$15
Contact: Owner-Director, Lisa Anderson 949-429-3020
5. Pretend City Children's Museum
*Pretendgineer, Art Projects, and Party Hosts
*Hours of availability: Monday 10 AM-1 PM, Tuesday-Sunday 10 AM-5 PM
Send resume to: Danielle.Mckinney@pretendcity.org
6. Galileo: Innovation Camps for Kids
*Innovation Camp for Pre-K - 5th graders in Mission Viejo
*Positions Available-:Entire Summer or Substitute/Part-time as Lead Instructors or Team Leaders
*Sites for Camps: Mission Viejo, Laguna Niguel, Laguna Beach, & Rancho Santa Margarita
*Salary: Minimum wage plus- depending on position and experience
Contact for more information: www.galileo-camps.com/jobs/
FUTURE TEACHER RESOURCES
FUTURE TEACHER SCHOLARSHIPS
FUTURE TEACHER TESTING
NEWSFLASH - TODAY IN THE WORLD OF TEACHING!
- Rather than waiting until you are far into the teaching pathway and waiting until you do your student teaching to be in a classroom, you get early “classroom experience” to see if teaching would be something you truly want to do. For example, ... how much work is involved; can you handle a class? This class helped me decide that teaching is what I’m passionate about, I have lots of energy when I’m in the classroom and enjoy the kids.
- This was an excellent experience and opportunity to get first hand exposure to a classroom/ teaching environment. The TPP staff was excellent; readily available and exceptionally helpful. The school placement was also appropriate and positive. I highly commend this educational opportunity to any student considering teaching as helping to direct a career decision.
- This is an excellent exposure to the world of teaching. The only thing that I recommend to student teachers to approach this class with their "eyes wide open." ... look at all of the aspects as well as their own personal motivations for doing what they're doing.
- Through the TPP program, I gained early classroom experience. This helped me decide that teaching is what I am passionate about. I enjoy the kids and have lots of energy when I am in the classroom.
- Overall a great experience to be part of the actual classroom setting in a role that enabled us to develop teaching and interpersonal skills.