Pursuant to Title 5 of the Administrative Code of California, Section 53200, the Academic Senate is a faculty organization whose primary function is to make recommendations with respect to academic and professional matters as it relates, in particular to the following areas:
- Curriculum, including establishing prerequisites and places courses within disciplines
- Degree and certificate requirements
- Grading policies
- Educational program development
- Standards or policies regarding student preparation and success
- District and college governance structures, as related to faculty roles
- Faculty roles and involvement in accreditation processes, including self-study and annual reports
- Policies for faculty professional development activities
- Processes for program review
- Processes for institutional planning and budget development
- Other academic and professional matters as mutually agreed upon between the governing board and the Academic Senate.
According to Education Code, the Academic Senate is also responsible for jointly developing with the District policies and procedures related to faculty hiring (section 87360B) and administrative retreat rights (section 87458A).
The Saddleback College Academic Senate is a representative body, with each instructional area receiving a senator for every ten full-time faculty members or portion thereof, to a maximum of four.
Important Senate Information
Meetings are held every other Wednesday, 2 – 4 PM in AGB 106 unless otherwise specified
- August 14 (2:30-3 pm)
- August 28
- September 11
- September 25
- October 9
- October 23
- November 6
- November 20
- December 4
- December 18 (tentative)
- January 22
- February 5
- February 19
- March 4
- March 25
- April 8
- April 22
- May 6
2019-20 - Listed Meeting Dates (no calendar)
Current Agenda - November 6, 2019
- Use the link to the most current approved list of committees, membership and chairs.
- If you are interested in serving on a committee, or attending a meeting, contact the committee chair directly.
- Chairs, please email the Academic Senate Office Administrative Assistant with changes in membership or meeting information.
- Information for most committees may also be found on the Saddleback SharePoint site.
For committees and related information: Link to Saddleback College, Academic Senate Sharepoint
2019 ACADEMIC SENATE ELECTION LINK:
The voting link is now closed - thank you for your participation.
Executive Team Officers for the 2019-2020 academic year are:
- President Dan Walsh
- President-Elect Blake Stephens
- Vice President Margot Lovett
- Vice President Scott Fredrickson
- Secretary Michelle Duffy
Faculty Handbook 16/17 Policies and procedures may have changed since published; please confirm the accuracy of the information in this document with your Dean and Department Chair.
Academic Senate Goals for 2019-20
Faculty are invited to email Academic Senate with suggestions