Pursuant to Title 5 of the Administrative Code of California, Section 53200, the Academic Senate is a faculty organization whose primary function is to make recommendations with respect to academic and professional matters as it relates, in particular to the following areas:
- Curriculum, including establishing prerequisites and places courses within disciplines
- Degree and certificate requirements
- Grading policies
- Educational program development
- Standards or policies regarding student preparation and success
- District and college governance structures, as related to faculty roles
- Faculty roles and involvement in accreditation processes, including self-study and annual reports
- Policies for faculty professional development activities
- Processes for program review
- Processes for institutional planning and budget development
- Other academic and professional matters as mutually agreed upon between the governing board and the Academic Senate.
According to Education Code, the Academic Senate is also responsible for jointly developing with the District policies and procedures related to faculty hiring (section 87360B) and administrative retreat rights (section 87458A).
The Saddleback College Academic Senate is a representative body, with each instructional area receiving a senator for every ten full-time faculty members or portion thereof, to a maximum of four.
Important Senate Information
Link to agenda for meeting on October 5, 2022
Link to Academic Senate SharePoint Site
Academic Senate meets on the 1st and 3rd Wednesdays, 2 - 4 pm, 28000 Marguerite Parkway, Mission Viejo, CA 92692, AGB 106
2022: 9/7, 9/21, 10/5, 10/19, 11/2, 11/16, 12/7
2023: 1/18, 2/1, 2/15, 3/1, 3/15, 4/5, 4/19, 5/3, 5/17
Faculty Handbook v.21/22 - Policies and procedures may have changed since published; please confirm the accuracy of the information in this document with your Dean and Department Chair.
Chairs, Faculty and Division Offices: submit proposed changes to committee membership using the Committee Change Form
- Faculty: Use the Committee Change Form to submit your interest in serving on a committee.
- For information regarding active committees, please visit the SharePoint Committees site.