Due to COVID-19 UCI Writing Project has suspended Summer 2020 With Saddleback College. Stay tuned for Summer 2021!
UCI Writing Project
Established in 1984, the UCI Writing Project's Summer Youth Program has impacted thousands of students from around the globe with its mission to improve student writing and learning by improving the quality of teaching. The UCI Writing Project and its Summer Youth Program boasts a network of over 200 certified educators in Southern California to ensure quality instruction suitable for Grades K-12 designed to meet the California Common Core Standards. The program continues to excel and grow each year through the research and guidance of the Director of UCI Writing Project, Dr. Carol Booth Olson.
Summer Youth Programs in partnership with Saddleback College | CUSD Summer Experience
Young Writers Workshop
Based on the California Common Core State Standards,our workshops offer students a unique opportunity to develop their talent as writers. Experienced teachers guide students through a step-by-step approach to writing.
- Write descriptive, narrative, informational, and argumentative papers
- Practice the six traits of writing: ideas, organization, voice, word choice, sentence fluency, and writing conventions
- Share their writing within a supportive circle of friends
- Learn to revise, edit, and publish their work
- Write with command of standard English language conventions
Young Math/Science Workshop
The Young Math/Science workshops offer students the opportunity to further develop higher level thinking skills through hands-on activities that integrate math and science. To promote critical thinking, students are encouraged to use a variety of problem-solving strategies.
- Math/Science-based Critical Thinking
- Real World Math/Science Application
- The Scientific Method of Logical Reasoning
- Pattern-finding and Educated Guessing
- Math/Science-integrated building projects
For more information, visit the UCI Writing Project website.