WHAT IS CALIFORNIA TRAINING BENEFITS (CTB)?
California Training Benefits (CTB) allows you to further your education, upgrade your skills, or learn a new trade by attending an Employment Development Department (EDD) approved school or training program while you receive Unemployment Insurance (UI) benefits.
- Continue collecting UI benefits while attending school.
- Enhance existing knowledge and skills.
- Develop new skills for an exciting career path.
- Potentially receive additional weeks of UI benefits if approved for a Training Extension (TE). (Extensions are not automatically approved. Ultimately, the US Senate approves extensions to UI benefits*.)
If approved for CTB, you will be exempt from the weekly UI eligibility requirements. Weekly requirements include being available for work, actively looking for work, and accepting work, while you attend an EDD approved school or training program.
To be considered for a Training Extension (TE), you must contact the EDD before you receive your 16th week of UI benefit payments. If the maximum award of your claim is less than 16 weeks, you must contact Unemployment Insurance (UI) before your claim reaches a zero balance.
*There is no guarantee of an extension of unemployment benefits lasting to the completion of your program.
At this time, we do not process ITA vouchers. However, there are state, federal, and employer assistance programs that may fund your schooling or training. To learn more about the available types of federal financial aid programs, visit Federal Student Aid. If you have additional questions about Financial aid programs please contact our Financial Aid Office at 949-582-4860.
Additional Resources, Forms and Publications
- Fact Sheet California Training Benefits (DE 8714U) (PDF)
- Tips for Qualifying for California Training Benefits (DE 2332) (PDF)
- California Training Benefits Program Information and Application (Sample) (DE 3100T) (PDF)
- Notice of Request for School or Training Information (Sample) (DE 4365T) (PDF)
- California Training Benefits (CTB) (YouTube)
- FAQs – California Training Benefits
- Training Resources for Job Seekers
- Labor Market Information
- Benefit Determination Guide Index
Information derived from The State of California's current webpage.
For questions or comments, please contact Don Mineo or phone directly at 949-582-4965