WHAT IS BLACKBOARD?
Saddleback's online courses are powered by Blackboard (a Web-based course management system designed to allow students and faculty to participate in classes delivered online or use online materials and activities to complement face-to-face teaching). Instructors can provide students with course materials, discussion boards, virtual chat, online quizzes, an academic resource center, and more. They may supplement an on-campus class by putting their syllabus and handouts on their course sites. In contrast, other courses may be conducted entirely online, without any on-campus sessions.
All Blackboard accounts are now generated automatically.
New Course Shells
New blank course shells are created automatically for all faculty by ticket number when the class schedule becomes available. You will need to make the course visible(available) or invisible(unavailable) to your students via MySite.
NOTE: The Blackboard Snapshot Controller is scheduled every TWO hours on the ODD hours (i.e. 1, 3, 5, 7 etc..). Therefore, when you make the course visible/invisible in MySite at 6, it won't be available to students until 7 and after.
All student enrollments are now automated. All adds/drops should be completed through MySite every TWO hours on the ODD hours.
Browsers & Plug Ins
- Download and install Java, http://www.java.com
- Keep your computer virus free.
- Disable "pop-up" windows/blocker.
- If you are a DSL user and have your firewall set, you will need to disable your firewall while using the Blackboard chat tool.
- You may experience difficulties if you access from work because of network security.
- Clear your Browser's cache (internet temporarily files) to free up some computer space.
- When using a public computer, you need to exit the browser completely after you log off Blackboard.
To access Blackboard, go to http://saddleback.blackboard.com. For those of you who have the old URL, http://socccd.blackboard.com on your syllabi, do not worry. You do not have to change it. The Saddleback URL is just another way to access Blackboard.
User Name: The first part of your email address before @saddleback.edu (i.e. jdoe).
Password: Your email password (DEFAULT IS USUALLY the last four digits of your social security number + two zeros). Click the LOGIN button.
Students have different login credentials - View the Student Technical Support page.