NOTE: This program will not run during the 2018-2019 academic year. Please contact the "Program Contacts" listed below if you are interested in this program for the 2019-2020 academic year.
Program Contacts: Professor Jed Mularski and Professor Christina Ghanbarpour
This program is an exciting opportunity to explore the history, politics, culture, and natural beauty of a country that is unlike any other!
Between May 30 and June 6, we will immerse ourselves in Cuba's fascinating culture and history, visiting the cities of Havana, Cienfuegos, Trinidad, and Santa Clara, along with their surrounding countrysides. As we do so, we will participate in a wide variety of exciting cultural and historical activities, exchanges, and site visits, with a special emphasis on engaging with local people and communities.
In conjunction with pre-trip, online assignments, students may earn transferrable credits for History 5: World History from 1750 (3 units) and History 28: Latin America Since Independence (3 units) through this study abroad program.
All tours and assignments in this program will be conducted in English, so no prior knowledge of Spanish is required for this program. This program is open to students from any discipline/division and to the general public; all participants will be required register for the program through Saddleback College.
- Old Havana
- Revolution Square
- Pinar del Rio Province
- University of Havana
- Topes de Collantes Biological Reserve
- Visits to cities of Cienfuegos, Trinidad, and Santa Clara
- Meetings & discussions with local artists, musicians, dancers, craftsmen, farmers, university faculty, and other local professionals
- Program led by Saddleback History professors (Dr. Christina Ghanbarpour and Dr. Jed Mularski) and a local, English-speaking tour guide
- "Homestays" with experienced and approved Cuban families
$3,216 US Dollars per participant for a minimum enrollment of ten paying student participants (many students use Financial Aid or scholarships cover trip costs--see the link above for further information).
Included in program fees:
- Miami-Havana-Miami round-trip airfare
- Saddleback faculty for duration of the program
- Expert local guide for duration of the program
- Airport transfers
- 8 days/7 nights (double or triple occupancy). 1 night in Miami and 6 nights in Cuba.
- Breakfast and dinner daily + lunch provided for 6 days
- Excursions (including group transportation by private bus, hotel accommodations and meals (where applicable), entrance fees for sites, and professional English-speaking tour guide
- Medical and accident insurance coverage in Cuba during hte duration of the program
- Included fees associated with US travel to Cuba: Visa, departure tax, 1 checked bag from Miami to/from Havana
- Comprehensive Study Abroad Insurance Coverage
- Pre-departure information services and toll-free contact number in the U.S.
- 24 hour contact number for emergencies
- Acceptance and Orientation Packet (offered by Travel & Education)
- Advance planning services (offered by Travel & Education)
Not included in program fees:
- Airfare from LAX to Miami to LAX
- Mandatory comprehensive insurance coverage: $40
- Passport fees
- Meals not listed on the itinerary
- Hotel charges including phone charges, use of laundry facilities, tips, minibar, etc.
- Personal expenses
- Any additional travel or trips not listed on the itinerary