Starting January 22, 2021
Register for Class Section #17725
EHUM 500: Modern World Culture
Faculty Moderator: Ms. Laura Hoffman
Due to the suspension of all in-person classes, there will be no scheduled live-stream meetings for this course. Our Guest Speakers' lectures will be recorded and posted in the Canvas site approximately 5 -7 days after the event. Students will be emailed when the lecture is ready for viewing in Canvas.
The Dorothy Marie Lowry Distinguished Guest Lecture Series, presented by the Saddleback College Emeritus Institute each spring semester, welcomes 16 local and national educators, artists, sociologists, scientists, political activists, and scholars to involve students in critical thought and discourse.
Recognized as a premier speaker series throughout South Orange County and attracting over 300 students for each weekly lecture, the Emeritus Institute is pleased to promote lifelong learning by engaging students’ minds and bodies through the insight, education, and experiences of its distinguished guest lecturers.
Spring 2021 Dorothy Marie Lowry Distinguished Guest Lectures
- January 22: Dr. Andrew Noymer - Understanding the Covid Pandemic
- January 29: Mr. Carel Struyken - The Life and Times of Edward Curtis
- February 5: Ms. Meg Waters - Corporate or Non-Profit: How Journalism Will Survive and Thrive in the 21st Century
- February 12: No Class (Presidents Holiday)
- February 19: Dr. Danielle Thomsen - Partisan Polarization and the Decline of Moderate Candidates
- February 26: Mr. Joel Kotkin - Urbanism After Covid-19
- March 5: Dr. Sara Goodman - Citizenship in Hard Times
- March 12: Mr. Stephen Connolly - Police Reform 2021: Be Careful What We Wish For
- March 19: Dr. Stephen Krashen - Writing Secrets (NEW TOPIC)
- March 26: No Class (Spring Break Week)
- April 2: Mr. David Plouffe - Vincent van Gogh: The Man and the Myth
- April 9: Mr. Jim Washburn - A Rock & Roll History of Orange County
- April 16: Mr. Tim Piper - History of the Beatles and Their Impact on Society
- April 23: Dr. Elliot Stern - Less Vitae, More Vision: How the Tech Industry Changed Leadership and Will Change Education
- April 30: Mr. Dickson Louis - Leadership for the 21st Century
- May 7: Dr. Sandra Finestone - The Emotional Aspects of Dealing with a Breast Cancer Diagnosis
- May 14: Mr. Frederic Larson - A Career in Photojournalism
- May 21: Former L.A. Times & OC Register Journalist Ms. Jean Pasco, and Former Ambassador Gaddi Vasquez - Interview Format: Orange County's Past, Present and Outlook
Speakers are subject to change without notice.