Starting January 17, 2020
Register for Class Section #15800
HUM 204x: Modern World Culture
Laguna Woods Village, Clubhouse 3 Auditorium
9:30am - 11:20am
Faculty Moderator: Ms. Laura Hoffman
The Dorothy Marie Lowry Distinguished Guest Lecture Series, presented by the Saddleback College Emeritus Institute each spring semester, welcomes fourteen local and national educators, artists, sociologists, scientists, political activists, and scholars to involve students in critical thought and discourse.
Recognized as a premier speaker series throughout South Orange County attracting over 300 students for each weekly lecture, the Emeritus Institute is pleased to promote lifelong learning by engaging students’ minds and bodies through the insight, education, and experiences of its distinguished guest lecturers.
Spring 2020 Dorothy Marie Lowry Distinguished Guest Lecturers
- January 17, 2020 – Mr. Keith Sharon - The Story Behind the Story
- January 24, 2020 – Mr. William Steiner - Lessons Learned: The Orange County Bankruptcy and its Relationship to Wealth and Best Intentions
- January 31, 2020 – Dr. Joanna Roche - Ornamentation vs. Abstraction: The Dynamic Saga of 20th Century Graphic Design
- February 7, 2020 – Dr. Eric Handler - Social Determinants of Health: We Can Impact Change
- February 21, 2020 - Dr. Kerry Burnight - Aging Brilliantly
- February 28, 2020 - Ms. Karen Schmauss - Behind the Scenes in the Justice System: Protecting the Littlest Victims
- March 6, 2020 - Ms. Deborah Ploghaus - The Justice System and Humane Treatment of Animals
- March 13, 2020 - Ms. Eileen Padberg - Out of My Lane. My 22 Months in Iraq
- March 27, 2020 - Mr. David Kiff - Can Your City and Mine Ever Solve Homelessness?
- April 3, 2020 - Mr. David Plouffe - Art Theft, Looting, and Repatriation
- April 10, 2020 - Dr. Sara Goodman - Citizenship in Hard Times
- April 17, 2020 - Mr. Rick Graves - An Alternate Vision: Distavision Long Format Imaging: Pushing Photography to its Extremes
- April 24, 2020 - Mr. Martin J. Smith - "Scripting Act Three*: (*or How I Learned to Live Deliberately, Love a Pregnant Moose, and Embrace a Life Far From the Madding Crowd)
- May 1, 2020 - Ms. Jean Pasco - Can We Survive Politics 2020? What History Tells Us
- May 8, 2020 - Ms. Laura Hoffman - Life Through the Lens: How Photography Changed the World
- May 15, 2020 - Ambassador Gaddi Vasquez - An American Journey: Tilling Fields of Hope, Harvesting the Dream- The Words of A Former Peace Corps Director and Former U.S Ambassador
Speakers are subject to change without notice.