California Work Opportunity & Responsibility to Kids

CalWORKs Logo

CalWORKs Office: SSC 126 map
CalWORKs Phone: (949) 582-4207

CalWORKs Office Hours:
Monday ........... 8:00 am - 4:30 pm
Tuesday .......... 8:00 am - 4:30 pm
Wednesday ..... 8:00 am - 7:00 pm
Thursday ......... 8:00 am - 4:00 pm
Friday .............. 8:30 am - 12:00 pm

CalWORKs is a welfare program that gives cash aid and services to eligible needy California families. The program serves every county in the state of California and is operated locally by county welfare departments (CDSS). At Saddleback College we provide CalWORKs students with academic, personal, career, and employment-related assistance. In addition to providing clear and consistent educational planning and counseling, we also help students navigate the community college system and provide a bridge to other on-campus and off-campus services such as financial aid, work-study, job placement services or child care services.

CalWORKs Counselors

Maria Castellanos
CalWORKs Counselor
(949) 582-4207

Amy Strange View profile information
CalWORKs Counselor
(949) 582-4207



  • Be a TANF/CalWORKs recipient who is receiving cash aid.
  • Develop a Welfare-to-Work (WTW) plan that refers the participant to the college for education and training with the South Orange County CalWORKs office.
  • Must be in good standing with Social Services and the College he/she is attending.


Begin the Process

  1. Become a Saddleback College Student by Completing the Saddleback College online application.
  2. Complete the Saddleback College CalWORKs Application and the last page needs to be completed you and your case manager.
  3. Talk to your case manager at Social Services about receiving a Welfare-to-Work Referral (41-05). Your Saddleback College CalWORKs counselor will complete the referral at your initial meeting.
  4. Complete and submit a Board of Governors Fee Waiver to the Saddleback College financial aid office (SSC 106), and complete an Online Free Application for Federal Student Aid "FAFSA application."
  5. Schedule an appointment to meet with the CalWORKs Counselor at Saddleback College. You can do this in two ways by either calling to make an appointment at (949) 582-4620 or walk-in to the CalWORKs office at Saddleback College room SSC126 and make an appointment, it is critical that you identify yourself as a potential CalWORKs student to be scheduled with the right counselor.


Students Responsibility

  • Complete a minimum of 32 hours of work, and/or education activities per week.
  • Meet with a Saddleback College CalWORKs counselor on a monthly basis.
  • Complete monthly reports as required by the county, and meet with your Saddleback College CalWORKs counselor to track your progress towards your academic goals.
  • Maintain a 2.0 G.P.A.


Tips for Academic Success:

  • Set up a regular study schedule and stick to it.  Visit the Learning Assistance Program in the library for tutoring.
  • See your Saddleback College CalWORKs counselor every semester.  Balancing work, school and parenting responsibilities can be challenging.  Your counselor can offer support, guidance and help with study skills.
  • Register for classes early, by the priority registration date. 


Fall 2017 CalWORKs Counselor's Schedule

It is important to make an appointment due to the high volume of students and limited counselors. You can schedule an appointment by calling our office at (949) 582-4620 or by walking into the EOPS/CalWORKs office in the Student Services Center (SSC-126).

Fall 2017

  Monday Tuesday Wednesday Thursday Friday

Maria Castellanos

8:00 am -
4:00 pm

8:00 am -
4:00 pm   

8:00 am - 10:00 am
 11:00 am - 5:00 pm   

8:00 am -
4:00 pm

8:00 am -
12:30 pm

8:00 am
12:30 pm
  8:00 am
12:00 pm
8:00 am -
11:30 am


Saddleback College CalWORKs Forms

New Welfare-to-Work Rules

SC CalWORKs Application

CalWORKs Agency Certification

SC CalWORKs Policies and Procedures

Student Weekly Schedule


Orange County Social Services

Orange County Social Service

Orange County CalWORKs

Cash & Food Stamps

Orange County Employment Services

Orange County Adult/ Elder Services

Orange County Health Care Services