California Grant Program

CAL GRANTS are state grants awarded to California residents. For Cal Grant consideration the  California Dream Act or the FAFSA  and a verified GPA must be filed by the deadline date of March 2. GPA Verification forms available online at

Apply for Cal Grant

In addition to the Dream Act/FAFSA application being submitted before March 2 , to be eligible for a Cal Grant a GPA Verification Form must be submitted to the California Student Aid Commission by the filing deadline. The Cal Grant filing deadline is March 2. Community College award deadline is September 2.

Students who have completed at least 16 transferable units at Saddleback College will have their college GPA sent automatically before the deadline. GPA’s are submitted by social security number please confirm your social security number is correct with Admissions and Records office. You do not have to complete a GPA Verification form.

Student who have completed 16 to 23 transferable units have the option to use their high school GPA (if it is higher than their college GPA) or course GPA. To do so, you must have the High School you attended complete a Cal Grant GPA Verification Form and send it to the California Student Aid Commission postmarked by deadline.

Students who have NOT completed at least 16 transferable units at Saddleback College must have the GPA verification form completed by their high school by the filing deadline.

Thumbnail of What is a Cal Grant?

Cal Grant Program Information


General Cal Grant Requirements

  • submit the FAFSA or CA Dream Act Application and your verified Cal Grant GPA by the deadline
  • be a U.S. citizen or eligible noncitizen or meet AB540 eligibility criteria
  • be a California resident for 1 year
  • attend a qualifying California college
  • not have a bachelor’s or professional degree
  • have financial need at the college of your choice
  • have family income and assets below the minimum levels
  • be enrolled or plan to enroll in a program leading to an undergraduate degree or certificate
  • be enrolled or plan to enroll at least half time
  • not owe a refund on any state or federal grant or be in default on a student loan
  • not be incarcerated
  • maintain the Satisfactory Academic Progress standards as established by the school. Recipients who do not meet the standards are ineligible for Cal Grant payment and will not use eligibility during the terms they are ineligible for payment.


Cal Grant A

  • Provides grant funds to help pay tuition and fees at qualifying institutions offering degree programs of at least two years in length.
  • Does not pay at a California Community College (CCC). The awards are held in CCC Reserve status and are renewed for up to two consecutive years while attending a CCC. Your Cal Grant funds may become available to you when you   transfer to a Cal Grant eligible 4‐  year college if you meet all the renewal requirements at the time of transfer.


Cal Grant B 

  • Provides   grant   funds  to   help   pay   for   your tuition,  student  fees   and  other   educational costs in a for‐  credit instructional program of not less than one academic year in length.
  • Provides funds for access costs each year such as living expenses, transportation, supplies and books.
  • Pays tuition and fees for students attending a Cal Grant eligible 4‐year college, beginning in  their second year. 
  • Pays access costs at a California Community College until you transfer to a tuition/fee‐charging school and become eligible for both tuition/fees and access costs.


Cal Grant C

  • Provides   grant   funds  to   help   pay   for   books, tools, and equipment for students pursuing at vocational, technical, or career education not less than four months in length.  
  • Provides tuition and fees at a private college.

Other Grant Information Awarded by the State of California


Cal Grant Contact Information

If you have questions about financial aid call us toll free at (888) CA GRANT (888-224-7268), Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. through 4:00 p.m., or e-mail

Cal Web Grants Account

To access your WebGrants account, please go to

  • Understand and manage your Cal Grant award.
  • Update your address or school of attendance. The California Student Aid Commission communicates with students using their e‐mail address on file so it is critical that you keep this information updated.
  • Post a leave of absence.
  • Allow a third party (such as a parent or guardian) access to your Cal Grant information.
  • Satisfy outstanding requirements.