Types of Financial Aid

Types of Financial Aid

Saddleback College provides eligible students with several types of grants and loans. Loans need to be repaid. Grants do not need to be repaid.

Thumbnail of Differences Between Federal and State Financial Aid Programs

Remember, all requirements must be completed before any funds are disbursed. To check your financial aid status, log in to https://saddleback.verifymyfafsa.com(link is external). Any outstanding documents to complete your file will be shown there.

California College Promise Grant (CCPG) – The CCPG allows California residents and Dream Act students to waive the $46 per unit fee and a portion of the parking permit fee. There is no minimum number of units required and it is based on income. A student may complete the FAFSA to apply or Dream Act application for consideration of the CCPG fee waiver. If a student pays for their fees upfront and is eligible for the CCPG, they may request a refund by contacting the Student Payment Office.

Cal Grant –Cal Grant is offered by the State of California and is open to California residents attending a college or university in California. The grant has an annual application deadline of March 2 for the following academic year and is based on need, income, and GPA. For California Community College students only, the second deadline of September 2nd has been established. Students must file a FAFSA or Dream Act application and a GPA Verification prior to the deadline, in order to be considered. The Cal Grant is based on residency, proof of need, income, GPA, and other ‘point’ based criteria. Income and asset ceilings, determined by the California Student Aid Commission (CSAC), will be checked annually for all new and continuing students.

Student Success Completion Grant (SSCG) - The Student Success Completion Grant (SSCG) is a new grant which began in Fall 2018 for Cal Grant B and C recipients attending a California Community College full-time (12 units or more). Students will be automatically reviewed for eligibility if they meet the eligibility requirements. The SSCG provides students with an additional $1298 - $4000 annually depending on the number of units they enroll in. A student must complete a FAFSA or a Dream act application.

FSEOG – The Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant is a campus-based program. A student must be enrolled in at least 6 units and it is based on financial need. A student must complete the FAFSA and submit all required documents. Funds are limited so it is available on a first-come, first-served basis.

Federal Work-Study – The Federal Work-Study program allows students to earn a paycheck by working a part-time job on or off-campus and gain valuable experience. Money received from Work-Study does not count as income on the FAFSA. Students must be enrolled in at least 6 units (half-time) to be considered and it is awarded based on financial need. A student must complete the FAFSA, indicate they are interested in work-study, and submit all required documents. Eligible students will be notified via their school-provided email address.

Pell Grant - The Pell Grant is a federal grant to use towards educational expenses. There is no minimum number of units required although the award is based on the number of units enrolled. For example, if a student is enrolled in 6 units (half-time), the student will only receive half of the Pell Grant they are eligible for. The Pell Grant is awarded based on financial need. A student must complete the FAFSA to be considered.

Scholarships– Scholarships are sources of free money for students to use towards educational expenses. Scholarships may be awarded based on financial need, grades, test scores, athletic ability, major, special talents, volunteer experience, or heritage. For more information on available scholarships, you may visit our scholarship website. When applying to scholarships not affiliated with Saddleback College, keep in mind scholarships should be free to apply for. If they ask for money to apply, it is likely a scam.

Student Loans – Student Loans are available to students in the form of subsidized (the student does NOT accrue interest while in school) and unsubsidized (the student does accrue interest while in school). A student must be enrolled in a minimum of 6 units (half-time). A student must complete the FAFSA to be considered.

Student With Dependent Children Grant - Students attending a UC, CSU or CCC who have dependent children, receiving more than half of their support from you and who are under the age of 18, might be eligible to receive an access award of up to $6,000 for eligible Cal Grant B or up to $4000 for eligible Cal Grant C recipients. The award amounts will be prorated to be consistent with the students’ enrollment status: full-time, three-quarter-time, half-time.

California Chafee Grant for Foster Youth – Free Money for Foster Youth for College or Career Training

Other Sources of Assistance – Do not overlook other campus-based programs that may offer other sources of assistance that may be available to you!