To apply for Financial Aid, you must complete a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) (link is external) at www.fafsa.gov
If you are an AB540 eligible student, to apply for financial aid, you must complete the California Dream Act Application at https://dream.csac.ca.gov
Here are a few key things to remember when applying for Financial Aid:
- To complete a FAFSA, you and your custodial parent (if applicable) will need a Federal Student Aid Id (link is external)
- For more information on creating and using your FSA ID
- Complete a new FAFSA/Dream Act Application for each academic year
- Complete the FAFSA/Dream Act Application before March 2nd. Both applications are available in October for the upcoming Fall semester (i.e. 2019/2020 FAFSA/Dream Act Application is available in October 2018, for the Fall 2019 semester). If you fail to submit your FAFSA/Dream Act Application by the March 2nd deadline your file will still be reviewed for financial aid eligibility, including the California College Promise Grant (formerly known as the BOG Fee Waiver).
- Remember to list Saddleback College’s school code (#008918) in the "School Selection" section of the FAFSA/Dream Act Application
- The immigration information reported on your FAFSA/Dream Act Application is not shared with anyone.
After you submit your FAFSA/Dream Act Application
- Approximately 1-2 weeks after you complete the FAFSA, you will receive an e-mail informing you to check your processing status on the FAFSA website (link is external). If you did not provide an e-mail address, the FAFSA processor will mail you a Student Aid Report (SAR). Carefully review your status and follow the instructions if you need to make any corrections. Our office will receive your information as long as Saddleback College, school code #008918, is listed in the "School Selection" section
- Approximately 1-2 weeks after you complete the Dream Act Application, you will receive an e-mail informing you to check the processing status of your application on https://dream.csac.ca.gov. If you did not provide an e-mail address, CSAC will mail you a CalSAR. Carefully review the status of your application and follow the instructions if corrections are needed. Our office will receive your information as long as Saddleback College, school code #008918, is listed in the “School Section” of your application.
- All students who submit a FAFSA application will be sent an email informing them to check the status of their Financial Aid Application on My Financial Aid Portal.
- All students who submit a Dream Act Application will be sent an email informing them of the documents needed to complete their application with the college. Students submitting a Dream Act Application do not have access to the My Financial Aid portal at this time.
- All students will receive a separate email, informing them of when their Award Letters have been finalized or revised.
View the following tutorial 7 Easy Steps to the FAFSA (link is external) for step by step assistance in filling out your FAFSA.
If you need assistance in completing the Dream Act Application you can visit https://dream.csac.ca.gov, go to “California Dream Act Information and Resources” on the right hand side of the page. This page lists all of the available options for getting additional assistance in completing the CA Dream Act Application.
Please also review our How to Get Financial Aid for FAFSA Filers or How to Get Financial Aid for CA Dream Act Filers for additional information.
If you need one-on-one assistance you can attend a Saddleback College Financial Aid Application Workshop.
You can find information on our available workshops by visiting the Events and Workshops link.