Students do not need to complete an application to enroll in Honors courses. Students who seek full Honors Program benefits must submit an "Application for Certificate-Track Status."
Applications are accepted on a rolling basis, but deadlines do exist for students who want to be considered for priority registration. These dates are not under our control because we must adhere to Admissions & Records deadlines.
- For Spring priority registration: September 1st
- For Summer priority registration: February 1st
- For Fall priority registration: the mid-April deadline set by the Freshman Advantage program
California Education Code now requires that
- Applications from current Walk-In Honors Students:
Students who have or are in the process of completing Honors courses must submit an application before completing two Honors courses, whether or not the GPA and English competency requirements have been met. Students who have done well in Honors courses but do not yet meet the GPA or English composition requirement for Certificate-Track status may be admitted on probation, but the application must be complete in order to preserve eligibility for admission.
- Current Saddleback College students and high school students:
Applications are accepted only from students who have completed a Saddleback College application or have officially transferred (i.e., changed their College of Record) from Irvine Valley College. Students may submit an application any time after receiving their student ID number, but applications can be processed only after matriculation (orientation, placement, first academic plan) is complete.
- A cumulative GPA of at least 3.25, including.
- for students with at least 12 UC-transferable units, overall those units, wherever completed;
- for students with fewer units, over all academic high school work (weighted).
- Eligibility for any transfer-level English composition course at Saddleback College, as determined by the Matriculation Office based on examination, high school GPA, or AP score:
- English 1A or 1AH, or
- English 1B or 1BH
- Saddleback College as the student's College of Record.
Our application is holistic. Essays and letters of recommendation are at least as important as the criteria given above. If you do not meet the English Composition or GPA requirement, you may still apply. You should, however, explain whatever circumstances prevented them from meeting the criteria, and discuss their strategies for overcoming or recovering from those circumstances.
All students may take Honors courses whether or not they are accepted to Certificate-Track status.