How to Apply

If you seek full Honors Program benefits, including Honors transfer, you should submit an "Application for Certificate-Track Status" as early as possible in your college career.

Applications are accepted and evaluated throughout the year, but deadlines do exist for priority registration. These dates are not under our control because we must adhere to Admissions & Records deadlines. These are also receipt, rather than postmark, deadlines. The applications must be complete and in our office at these dates:

  • For Spring priority registration: September 1st
  • For Summer priority registration: February 1st
  • For Fall priority registration: the mid-April deadline set by the Freshman Advantage program

If you miss one of these deadlines, you should not wait until the next one to apply. Complete your application as soon as possible. Successful transfer may be jeopardized by a delay, since you are not eligible for Honors Counseling and other relevant benefits until your application has been approved.

California Education Code now requires that 
students may not have priority registration until they finish the matriculation process.
Review a  summary of the procedure.
Even if your matriculation status is listed as "Not Required" by the college,
it is required by the Honors Program.

  • Applications from current Walk-In Honors Students:
    Students who have or are in the process of completing Honors courses must submit an application before completing two Honors courses, whether or not the GPA and English competency requirements have been met.
  • We honor and respect successful completion of Honors coursework. If you have done well in an Honors course but do not yet meet the GPA or English composition requirement for Certificate-Track status, you will be admitted at least on a provisional or probationary status upon your submission of a complete application and positive letters of recommendation. This will allow you access to Honors Counseling and other benefits that will help you reach your academic goals sooner or more easily. 
  • Current Saddleback College students and high school students: 
    Applications are accepted only from students who have completed a Saddleback College application or have officially transferred (i.e., changed their College of Record) from Irvine Valley College. Students may submit an application any time after receiving their student ID number, but applications can be processed only after eligibility for Engliah 1A is demonstrated. Students who do not complete matriculation by the Matriculation Office's semester deadline are not eligible for priority registration.

""Admission Criteria:

  • A cumulative GPA of at least 3.25, including.
    • for students with at least 12 UC-transferable units, overall those units, wherever completed;
    • for students with fewer units, over all academic high school work (weighted).
  • Eligibility for any transfer-level English composition course at Saddleback College, as determined by the Matriculation Office based on examination, high school GPA, or AP score:
    • English 1A or 1AH, or
    • English 1B or 1BH
  • Saddleback College as the student's College of Record.

Our application is holistic. Essays and letters of recommendation are at least as important as the criteria given above. If you do not meet the English Composition or GPA requirement, you may still apply. You should, however,  explain whatever circumstances prevented them from meeting the criteria, and discuss their strategies for overcoming or recovering from those circumstances.  

All Saddleback College students are welcome in Honors courses whether or not they are accepted to Certificate-Track status. 

You will need these documents to complete the application.

Apply now!