Admission to the paramedic program requires a combination of Emergency Medical Technician (EMT) certification and previous emergency response experience. Therefore, it is necessary to obtain coursework and experience prior to applying to the program.
- Applicants will need a Saddleback College student ID number and email. https://www.saddleback.edu/admissions/Apply-Saddleback-College
High school diploma or equivalency.
- Current California EMT license.
- Current basic life support (CPR) card. This card must be an American Heart Association "Healthcare Provider". No Substitutions. This card must be valid throughout the duration of the class.
- Minimum one year of full-time verified work experience as an EMT on an emergency response vehicle, such as a fire engine or private ambulance. This requirement is for both the one year and the hours which need to be equivalent to 160 per month over a 12 month period. Only signed and dated letters written on department/company letterhead will be considered as verification.
- A resume is not required but may be submitted with the application. Do not attach copies of certificates. If you wish to mention certificates, please include them in your resume.
- Recommendation letters are required, with a maximum of three. Unsigned letters will not be considered.
Recommended Preparation Courses
The following academic preparation is strongly recommended:
|HSC 104 - Medical Terminology||3|
|HSC 217 - Cardiac Dysrhythmias||2|
|EMT 219 - Paramedic Preparation||4|
Application Due Dates/Class Start Dates:
|Future Classes||Application Closing Date||Start Date|
|Class 85||September 30th, 2021||January 2022|
|Class 86||May 1st, 2022||August 22, 2022|
Class 86 Application Period was open February 10, 2022 and Closed on May 1, 2022.
Applicants will be notified of status at the end of May 2022.
*Start dates are subject to change
*Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, any of the information listed above is subject to change. Program availability is also subject to change due to clinical and field internship sites impacted by COVID-19 restrictions.
Health Requirements Once Admitted Into The Paramedic Program
Those invited into the program must be in adequate health to perform the duties of a paramedic. Students will be required to obtain the following titers/immunizations/vaccines within 3 months of admission and should get started on these right away.
- Hepatitis B
- TB skin test (to be completed prior to receiving COVID-19 Booster to avoid delays)
- COVID-19 vaccine/booster
- Seasonal flu shot (when available)
More details regarding required physical/immunizations/titers can be found on the
Students will need to provide evidence of vaccination status not only for enrollment into the Paramedic program but also to take courses at the college that are in person or hybrid. For details regarding vaccination status, please visit the link here.
Failure to complete any of the Paramedic program requirements/deadlines, provided to students, will result in students signing a Non-Compliance Form. Depending on the situation, students may or may not be eligible to continue in the program.
Students will also be required to complete a background/drug test, obtain professional liability insurance, have valid BLS card through the American Heart Association (no other providers), have medical health insurance. PM Courses are reserved only for students accepted into the Paramedic program and students will not be cleared to register until all of the requirements have been met.
Note: EMT-courses are available through Saddleback College through its Health Science and Human Services Division.