The Student Success Skills Center at the Saddleback College Health Science Division is a valuable resource for our Nursing, Medical Lab Technology, and Clinical/Comprehensive Medical Assisting programs. All skill labs are a safe, risk-free environment used for teaching and practicing your skills. The Student Success Center offers targeted workshops, tutoring and open labs throughout the semester.
- Nursing Skills Lab – The on-campus lab offers sophisticated learning technology within the elements of a hospital environment. Students can practice almost any nursing procedure performed in the hospital setting in the skills lab, from changing bedding to starting an IV. Examples of skills taught and practiced are NG Tube insertion and management, Foley catheter insertion and management, G-tube management, Tracheostomy care, Medication administration (oral, IV, subcutaneous, IM, G-tube), Head-to-toe assessments, Wound care, IV starts, and Specimen collection.
- Medical Lab Technology Skills Lab – Students will review how to operate and maintain clinical laboratory equipment and perform routine laboratory procedures in phlebotomy, microbiology, clinical chemistry, hematology, coagulation, immunology, immunohematology, and urinalysis.
- Clinical/Comprehensive Medical Assisting Skills Lab – Open lab and workshops cover electrocardiography (ECG), specimen collection, venipuncture, capillary puncture, medication administration, injections, medical, surgical asepsis, preparing to assist with minor office surgery and physical examination procedures.
Objectives & Goals
The Student Success Skills Center offers each student enrolled in Nursing, Medical Laboratory Technician, and Medical Assisting program the opportunity to practice and be evaluated on a range of skills in the lab. We provide hands-on learning through open labs, workshops, study time, and remediation throughout the semester. Our goal is to ensure the success of all of our nursing, medical lab technology, and clinical/comprehensive medical assisting students as they progress throughout their programs.
Contact Information For Faculty Tutorial Specialists
Open Lab Hours:
Monday – 8am – 2pm
Tuesday – 1pm – 5pm
Wednesday – 12pm – 6pm
Thursday – 8am – 2pm
Friday – 8am – 2pm
Medical Lab Technology
Open Lab Hours:
Clinical/Comprehensive Medical Assisting
Open Lab Hours:
Student Skill Center Administration
Courtney Rice, Sr. Lab Technician, Simulation
(949)582-4267 – direct
Yvonne Taylor, Student Success Center Coordinator
(949)582-4446 – direct
Student Success Center – Skills Lab Scheduling Guidelines
- Extension of Skills Lab tutoring sessions are permitted only when there are no other students waiting. *It is up to the professional discretion of the Faculty Tutorial Specialist (FTS) to extend sessions beyond the set 30-60 minutes.
- After 60 minutes – Students will be asked to take a break.
- After 2 hours Students will be asked to take a break and log back in with a different Faculty Tutorial Specialist(FTS), if available!
- Remediation Students will be granted additional Skills Lab time (length of time is dependent upon Faculty Tutorial Specialist availability and students in queue).
- The Nursing Skills Lab is open 8am-4:30pm Monday-Friday for students to study or practice certain skills without supervision (all sharps must be handled with faculty or an FTS present).