Mission Statement and Goals
Liberal Arts Division members value student engagement and innovative teaching and learning. We model and cultivate habits that inspire independent, critical thinking. And we choose collegial practices that address the needs of a diverse community unified by its common interests, most importantly helping one another reach clear academic, personal, and career goals.
Kevin O'Connor, Ph.D.
Keep on track with the Saddleback College 2015 - 2016 Academic Calendar.
BASIC SKILLS INITIATIVE (BSI)
Enter The Student Success Zone
Six College Success Factors . . . .
|#1||DIRECTED: students have a goal and know how to achieve it|
|Helping students clarify their aspirations, select an educational focus they perceive as meaningful and create a plan that moves them from enrollment to goal achievement|
|#2||FOCUSED: students stay on track - keeping their eyes on the prize|
|Fostering students’ motivation and helping them develop the skills needed to achieve their goals|
|#3||NURTURED: students feel somebody wants and helps them to succeed|
|Conveying a sense of caring where students’ success is important and expected|
|#4||ENGAGED: students actively participate in class and extra-curricular activities|
|Actively involving students in meaningful and authentic educational experience and activities inside and outside the classroom|
|#5||CONNECTED: students feel like they are part of the college community|
|Creating connections between students and the institution and cultivating relationships that underscore how students’ involvement with the college community can contribute to their academic and personal success|
|#6||VALUED: students' skills, talents, abilities and experience are recognized; they have opportunities to contribute on campus and feel their contributions are appreciated|
|Providing students with opportunities to contribute to and enrich the college culture and community|
These "six success factors" form the basis for the RP Group's student-focused investigation of support.
STUDENT SUCCESS RESOURCES
- 2010-13 Saddleback College Strategic Plan
- 2020 Vision Student Success: A Report of the Commission on the Future of the Community College League of California
- A Library of Student Success Research Studies - AACU
- A Matter of Degrees: Promising Practices for Community College Student Success - CCCSE
- Advancing Student Success in the California Community Colleges - SSTF recommendations
- Basic Skills Completion: The Key to Student Success in California Community Colleges - CCC
- Basic Skills as a Foundation for Student Success in California Community Colleges - RP Group
- Characteristics of Successful Students
- Common Core State Standards - OCDE
- Community College Honor Society Commits to Boosting Graduation Rates
- Divided We Fail: Improving Completion and Closing Racial Gaps in California Community Colleges - Institute for Higher Education Leadership & Policy
- One-Shot Deal? Student's Perception of Assessment and Course Placement in California's Community Colleges - WestEd
- SSRC Improving Undergraduate Learning: Findings and Policy Recommendations from the SSRC-CLA Longitudinal Project - SSRC
- Transforming Basic Skills Education - RP Group
- Unlock Your Education Potential: What Every Student Needs to Know to Succeed! by Haig & Haig
- Using Student Voices to Redefine Support - RP Group
- What Students Say They Need to Succeed - RP Group
- What Students Say They Need to Succeed: A Recipe for All of Us? - May/June 2013 ACCCA Report