Saddleback College is committed to helping students select appropriate level courses to provide the greatest chance for their academic success. Information relating to prerequisites, co-requisites, and recommended preparations are printed in bold as part of the course descriptions in the catalog and indicated with an asterisk (and by a "LOCK" symbol for prerequisite courses) next to the ticket number in the schedule of classes. Students are responsible for meeting and/or clearing all prerequisites for any course in which they plan to enroll in.
What is a Prerequisite?
A prerequisite is a course that must be taken and passed with a grade of C or better before moving up to the next course in a sequence. Example: English 200 must be passed with a C or better before a student is eligible to enroll in English 1A.
Clearing Prerequisites in Math, English, and International Languages
Students may take or have taken a course in high school or at another college that may be considered equivalent to the required prerequisite course at Saddleback College. If you wish to use an English, math, or international language course from high school or another college to clear a prerequisite at Saddleback College you must submit a copy of your transcript, assessment scores from another community college or high school AP exam scores to the appropriate office along with the appropriate Prerequisite Evaluation Form as follows:
- Math and English - Matriculation Office (VIL 8)
ME College Prerequisite Evaluation Form
- International Languages - Language Lab (LRC 202)
College Prerequisite Evaluation Form
Students may also clear a prerequisite by taking an assessment test in the offices indicated above.
All other prerequisites are cleared by their respective division offices with the exception of English as a Second Language (ESL), which does not clear prerequisites.
Guidelines for Clearing Prerequisites
Please visit the Matriculation Office web page for additional information.
- A completed College Prerequisite Evaluation Form is required with all submissions to the Language Lab (LRC 202).
- The Language Lab does not do On-The-Spot transcript evaluations. Transcript evaluation can take up to 5 business days to complete, so please submit your request at least two weeks prior to your registration period.
- When a student's transcript evaluation is completed in theLanguage Lab the results are entered into MySite usually within 48 hours. The Language Lab cannot call or e-mail students with evaluation results.
- If you have submitted other college transcripts to Saddleback College they are not automatically evaluated by the Language Lab. You are not required to re-submit the transcripts, however we do require the College Prerequisite Evaluation Form to be completed and faxed to (949) 347-8812, emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org, or delivered to the Language Lab (LRC 202). Please check the box on the form that reads "Official transcripts were sent to Admissions and Records on..."
- Unofficial transcripts must include the school name, the student's name, and completed courses with final grades.
- Courses submitted for evaluation must be passed with a grade of C or better. C- grades are NOT accepted as a passing grade at Saddleback college.
- Courses "in progress" that do not have a final grade, or are otherwise incomplete or without a grade, cannot be used for prerequisite evaluation.