June 29 - July 30
Saddleback College has offered the Santander, Spain Study Abroad Program for twenty-four consecutive years. In summer 2018, a group of 12 or more students will study Spanish language, culture, and history from June 29, 2018 through July 30, 2018. Twenty one students participated in summer 2017. The faculty advisor will accompany the students on their arrival flight, as well as the duration of the program in Santander.
Students will enroll in a minimum of 11 units of Saddleback courses and will attend classes Monday through Friday. Professors at Colegio Miguel Unamuno will teach the courses, adhering to Saddleback’s course outlines. The average number of units taken per student in summer 2017 was 9.77 units. The program includes more than 40 weekly hours of instruction in addition to Saturday and Sunday excursions to cultural and historic sites.
Accommodations for the students are in approved home-stays, including meals. The faculty advisor will be provided a single room for two nights in a hotel in Madrid (arrival night and departure night) and a one bedroom apartment while in Santander and is responsible for meals. All accommodations are within easy walking distance from Colegio Miguel de Unamuno. You may contact Carmenmara Hernandez-Bravo, whose complete contact information is given on the program’s webpage.
|U.S. Departure||Friday, June 29, 2018|
|Overnight Stay in Madrid||Saturday, June 30, 2018|
|Arrival in Santander||Sunday, July 1, 2018|
|Program Dates||July 2 – July 28, 2018|
|Overnight Stay in Madrid||Sunday, July 29, 2018|
|Return to U.S.||Monday, July 30, 2018|
|Date||Location & Time|
|January 25, 2018||SSC 212 at 6:00 p.m.|
|March 1, 2018||SSC 212 at 6:00 p.m.|
Program Components Included in the Student Fee
- 24 hour / 7 day on-site services of a T&E Coordinator for the duration of the program. SADDLEBACK COLLEGE - SOCCCD’S assigned point person with presence during all group activities and available 24 hours for all group needs.
- Group flight reservation for roundtrip from Los Angeles Airport (LAX) to Madrid with one stop and round-trip —*ONLY AVAILABLE ONCE THE GROUP REACHES 10 PAYING PARTICIPANTS and will be paid for separately. See below.
- Two (2) nights in Madrid – one (1) upon arrival and one (1) before departure for US (triple occupancy) with breakfast.
- Tapas tour in the evening upon arrival in Madrid
- Social and cultural program including events such as visits to local museums, tapas tours, Mediterranean style cooking classes, flamenco dance lessons, walking visits to local places of interest, lectures on Spanish culture, art and/or literature, viewing of Spanish films, etc…
- Roundtrip group transfers by private bus: Madrid – Santander -- Madrid
- Airport transfers at beginning and end of program: Barajas airport - Madrid hotel - Barajas airport
- Accommodation in SANTANDER with Spanish families (2 students per homestay sharing a double room).
- Three meals per day, 7 days per week, plus a weekly laundry service (additional washes may be arranged with the homestay family for an extra cost).
- An orientation program in SANTANDER consisting of an orientation meeting with a T&E representative, local area information, and a walking tour of SANTANDER.
- Reception and Farewell dinners.
- Spanish language immersion courses at the Colegio Unamuno. Five (5) hours of immersion daily, 5 days a week (M-F) from 9am to 2pm. TOTAL 100 hours of immersion. Level of proficiency and courses to be determined upon completion of on-site placement test. All course materials included and tutoring if necessary. All of the necessary class materials (textbooks, photocopies and classroom handouts as well as complementary folder).
- Four (4) Excursions will be included along with group transportation by private bus, hotel accommodations with breakfast (where applicable), and sightseeing tour of the various cities with entrances to relevant historical monuments as listed and the services of a T&E tour manager and a professional English-speaking tour guide. Following are possible locations and inclusions:
- Santillana del Mar and Comillas
- Valle del Pas and Bilbao
- Picos de Europa
- $50 non-refundable application fee.
- $80 USD per student for expenses in Madrid (tapas)
- Unlimited access to computer lab with free email, printing and internet facilities.
- Medical and accident insurance coverage in Spain during the duration of the program.
Travel & Education (T&E) will charge a fee of $4,600 USD per participant if 10 to 15 students enroll in the program, or $4,484 USD per participant if 16 or more students enroll; both scenarios will have one (1) faculty administrative visit.
Should SOCCCD wish to run this program with an enrollment below 10 paying student participants, it would be necessary either to add a supplement to the fee above or to remove some components from the program; T&E would discuss these options with SOCCCD. These fees are guaranteed not to change as a result of fluctuations in the USD exchange rate.
The following are not included in the program fees:
- Airline fees and fuel surcharges
- Mandatory $125 refundable damage deposit to be collected from each student and returned to each individual student by T&E Philadelphia office upon completion of program if no damages are reported. If the institution is being invoiced for the entire group there will be a flat charge of $1000 for groups with up to 15 students.
- Faculty compensation
- Visa and or passport fees.
- Meals other than those indicated on itinerary.
- Personal expenses.
- Additional field trips that have not been specified.
- Usage and upgrades on provided mobile phones.
T&E offers the option for group-flight reservations to ensure your group will travel together. A minimum of ten (10) paying participants is required to qualify for this option. If chosen, the following will apply:
- A group of ten (10) must be reached by April 6, 2018
- Students must apply to the T&E program by April 6, 2018
- A maximum of 15 seats will be held for this group. Additional seats must be contracted separately and may carry a higher cost
- Once applied, everyone will be supplied with a link for T&E flight portal where they can visit to purchase their individual airline ticket
- Contracted price per ticket will be made available once the group reaches minimum.
Students who do not reserve airfare through the suggested student flight option will be responsible for securing their own flight which should arrive before or at the same time as the contracted flight listed in this proposal. It is also their responsibility to check for any possible schedule changes with the T&E contracted itinerary to ensure their arrival coincides with the group. IMPORTANT NOTE: Transfers to and from the airport will not be provided for students arriving outside of the scheduled transfer time which is based on the T&E contracted flight for the group.
Program Application Procedure & Billing
Application forms and deposits totaling $700 per student ($450 non-refundable program deposit plus a $250 airfare deposit) should be submitted by Friday, February 23, 2018. T&E will then bill the individual student for the balance of fees owing. Should the group be eligible for the group-flight, T&E will provide a link and instructions on how to purchase into the group flight.
Online Student Application for Santander, Spain 2018 (link will become live once program is approved)
T&E reserves the right to withdraw students whose payment is incomplete by the final payment deadline of May 11, 2018.
The following is a list of payment deadlines:
- $700.00 USD Deposit Due: February 23, 2018
- $1,500.00 USD First Installment Due: March 16, 2018
- $1,500.00 USD Second Installment Due: April 13, 2018
- All Remaining Payments Due: May 11, 2018
Students applying after April 7, 2018 can only be accepted on a space-available basis and will be enrolled in a land-only program. T&E guidelines set forth in the T&E Application Contract must be followed when making airline reservations in order to take T&E provided transfer services to and from the Barajas Airport in Madrid to the program site. Should the T&E guidelines not be followed, participants will be responsible for their own transportation to or from the Madrid airport and their chosen program site.
Should an individual participant withdraw from the program, they must do so in writing directly with T&E, and the following policy will apply based on the date the withdrawal notice is received; all amounts are in USD.
|Withdrawal Date||Refund Status|
|On or Before Apr. 6, 2018||A refund of all fees paid will be issued, less a $450 non-refundable application fee plus any additional non-refundable deposits paid by the student or by T&E on behalf of the student.|
|From Apr. 6 - 13, 2018||A refund of all fees paid less $450 non-refundable application fee plus an additional $250 airline deposit as well as any additional non-refundable deposits paid by the student or by T&E on behalf of the student.|
|From Apr. 13 - 27, 2018||A refund of all fees paid less $450 non-refundable application fee plus an additional $250 airline deposit and $1,000 processing and insurance plus any other fees incurred by T&E on the students behalf.|
|After Apr. 27, 2018||No refund will be issued to the student.|
Once the program has begun, students withdrawing receive no refund unless T&E suspends the program. Saddleback College will not cancel the program if the necessary minimum number of 12 participating students enroll by May 4, 2018. If the U.S. State Department issues travel warnings advising U.S. citizens not to travel to Spain, then T&E will make suitably alternative arrangements or cancel the program (and issue a full refund) if it has not started. If the program has started, it will be suspended and students will be flown back to the U.S., where T&E will issue a prorate rebate of fees paid for the portion of the program not completed, less a $200 processing fee, $75 insurance premium, $95 non-refundable application fee and any costs incurred flying the student home.
|Course I.D.||Course Title||Units|
|SPAN 1||Elementary Spanish||5|
|SPAN 2||Elementary Spanish||5|
|SPAN 3||Intermediate Spanish||5|
|SPAN 4||Intermediate Spanish||5|
|SPAN 6||Intermediate Spanish Grammar & Composition||3|
|SPAN 10||Intermediate Conversational Spanish||3|
|SPAN 20A||Civilization of Spain Through 1898||3|
|SPAN 20B||Civilization of Spain 1898 to Present||3|
|ART 42||Color Theory||3|
International Languages Department Co-Chair
Office: LRC 320
Phone: (949) 582 - 4985