Saddleback College has offered the Santander, Spain Study Abroad Program for twenty-five consecutive years. In summer 2019, a group of 10 or more students will study Spanish language, culture, and history from July 1, 2019 through August 3, 2019. Twenty one students participated in summer 2017. The faculty advisor will accompany the students on their arrival flight, as well as the duration of the program in Santander.
Students will enroll in a minimum of 11 units of Saddleback courses and will attend classes Monday through Friday. Professors at Colegio Miguel Unamuno will teach the courses, adhering to Saddleback’s course outlines. The program includes more than 40 weekly hours of instruction in addition to Saturday and Sunday excursions to cultural and historic sites.
Accommodations for the students are in approved home-stays, including meals. The faculty advisor will be provided a single room for two nights in a hotel in Madrid (arrival night and departure night) and a one bedroom apartment while in Santander and is responsible for meals. All accommodations are within easy walking distance from Colegio Miguel de Unamuno. You may contact Carmenmara Hernandez-Bravo, whose complete contact information is given on the program’s webpage.
|Overnight Stay in Madrid||TBD|
|Arrival in Santander||TBD|
|Overnight Stay in Madrid||TBD|
|Return to U.S.||TBD|
|Date||Location & Time|
Program Components Included in the Student Fee
- Two (2) night in Madrid on (1) arrival and (1) departure for US: hotel in Madrid (triple occupancy) with breakfast
- Group transfers by private bus from Madrid to Santander.
- Welcome and Farewell Receptions.
- Accommodation in Santander in homestays (2 students per homestay sharing a double room).
- Three meals per day, seven days per week and weekly laundry service in the homestay (additional washes may be arranged with the homestay family for an extra cost).
- An orientation program in Santander consisting of an orientation meeting with a T&E representative, local area information.
- Spanish language immersion classes to be held at the Colegio Miguel de Unamuno for five hours per day, Monday through Friday (100 hours of coursework).
- All of the necessary class materials (textbooks, photocopies and classroom handouts as well as complementary folder).
- Guided visits of Santander with entrance fees included
- Excursions to Santillana del Mar and Comillas, Valle del Pas and Bilbao and Picos de Europa. All excursions will include the services of an English-speaking tour guide, all entrance fees to museums and a luxury tour bus (Viajes Altamira).
- Various cultural activities in the visited cities, guitar and cooking classes once a week
- Group transfer at the end of the program from Santander to Madrid and overnight in Madrid (triple occupancy) with breakfast included.
- Access to the student computer lab located at the Colegio Miguel de Unamuno with free e-mail, printing and internet facilities.
- $50 non-refundable application fee.
- $80 USD per student for expenses in Madrid (tapas)
- International Medical insurance including: Accident and Sickness Insurance Benefits, Emergency Medical Evacuation Benefit, Repatriation of Remains Benefit, Emergency Reunion Benefit and 24 hour International Emergency Assistance.
- Accounting / billing services in the U.S.
- Phone card with 200 minutes for calls to the US for each student.
- Pre-departure information services and a toll-free contact number in the U.S.
- Advance planning services offered by our T&E office in Philadelphia and in Spain (including tutoring services)
Travel & Education (T&E) will charge a fee of TBD USD per participant if 10 to 15 students enroll in the program, with one (1) faculty administrative visit.
Should SOCCCD wish to run this program with an enrollment below 10 paying student participants, it would be necessary either to add a supplement to the fee above or to remove some components from the program; T&E would discuss these options with SOCCCD. These fees are guaranteed not to change as a result of fluctuations in the USD exchange rate.
The following are not included in the program fees:
- Airfare (flight to be offered separately—see below for details)
- Saddleback tuition and/or fees
- Gov’t imposed airline taxes and fuel charges on airfare
- $100 refundable damage deposit
- Optional single room supplement for homestay: $200
- Meals not listed above
- Passport and visa fees if applicable
- Additional field trips or excursions required by your instructors
- Usage and upgrades on provided mobile phones
Travel & Education will hold a group flight for a minimum of 10 and maximum of 20 passengers. Tickets are to be purchased by individual applicants through the T&E partnering travel agency on a first come first serve basis. The information and instructions on how to purchase into the group flight will be provided in the T&E pre-departure communications program via email. Flights are offered exclusively on regularly scheduled flights on major airlines (not charters). They are not endorsable to another carrier. Flights are not necessarily direct or non-stop, and frequent flyer miles are not applicable. The T&E Transportation Package includes round-trip ground transportation from the airport in Madrid to your accommodations on the regularly scheduled program dates. T&E will book flights on the dates indicated on this application only.
Deviations on the return may be honored on a first come first serve basis by the partnering travel agency based on the rules set forth by the airline. Return must be to original US departure point. Tickets are subject to airline availability. No refunds are available for any unused portion of the ticket. Tickets cannot be rerouted, and stopovers are not permitted. Once in Europe participants may be able to change their return date, but only if that date is available and in the same class of service in which the ticket was booked. Only the ticketing agent can provide this information. Participants are subject to agency and airline-imposed change fees and space availability. Group round-trip ground transportation to and from the airport in Madrid is on the regularly scheduled program dates only. T&E cannot guarantee that all passengers will be booked on the same flight.
The program must have 10 paying applicants before a group flight will be offered.
If you do not have a passport you will need to apply for one no later than 3 months prior to departure date.
Program Application Procedure & Billing
Application forms and deposits totaling TBD per student ($TBD non-refundable program deposit plus a $TBD airfare deposit) should be submitted by TBD. T&E will then bill the individual student for the balance of fees owing. Should the group be eligible for the group-flight, T&E will provide a link and instructions on how to purchase into the group flight.
T&E reserves the right to withdraw students whose payment is incomplete by the final payment deadline of TBD.
The following is a list of payment deadlines:
- $700.00 USD Deposit Due: TBD
- $1,500.00 USD First Installment Due: TBD
- $1,500.00 USD Second Installment Due: TBD
- All Remaining Payments Due: TBD
T&E guidelines set forth in the T&E Application Contract must be followed when making airline reservations in order to take T&E provided transfer services to and from the Barajas Airport in Madrid to the program site. Should the T&E guidelines not be followed, participants will be responsible for their own transportation to or from the Madrid airport and their chosen program site.
Should an individual participant withdraw from the program, they must do so in writing directly with T&E, and the following policy will apply based on the date the withdrawal notice is received; all amounts are in USD.
|Withdrawal Date||Refund Status|
|On or Before TBD||A refund of all fees paid will be issued, less a $450 non-refundable application fee plus any additional non-refundable deposits paid by the student or by T&E on behalf of the student.|
|From TBD||A refund of all fees paid less $450 non-refundable application fee plus an additional $250 airline deposit as well as any additional non-refundable deposits paid by the student or by T&E on behalf of the student.|
|From TBD||A refund of all fees paid less $450 non-refundable application fee plus an additional $250 airline deposit and $1,000 processing and insurance plus any other fees incurred by T&E on the students behalf.|
|After TBD||No refund will be issued to the student.|
Once the program has begun, students withdrawing receive no refund unless T&E suspends the program. If the U.S. State Department issues travel warnings advising U.S. citizens not to travel to Spain, then T&E will make suitably alternative arrangements or cancel the program (and issue a full refund) if it has not started. If the program has started, it will be suspended and students will be flown back to the U.S., where T&E will issue a prorate rebate of fees paid for the portion of the program not completed, less a $200 processing fee, $75 insurance premium, $95 non-refundable application fee and any costs incurred flying the student home.
|Course I.D.||Course Title||Units|
|SPAN 1||Elementary Spanish||5|
|SPAN 2||Elementary Spanish||5|
|SPAN 3||Intermediate Spanish||5|
|SPAN 4||Intermediate Spanish||5|
|SPAN 6||Intermediate Spanish Grammar & Composition||3|
|SPAN 10||Intermediate Conversational Spanish||3|
|SPAN 11||Advanced Conversational Spanish||3|
|SPAN 20A||Civilization of Spain Through 1898||3|
|SPAN 20B||Civilization of Spain 1898 to Present||3|
|ART 42||Color Theory||3|
International Languages Department Co-Chair
Office: LRC 320
Phone: (949) 582 - 4985