Academic Renewal

IMPORTANT NOTICE: All Academic Renewal forms and/or paperwork must be submitted to the Admissions and Records Office. Please contact their office for instructions at 949-582-4555 or email

Under certain circumstances, students may elect to have previously completed courses disregarded in the computation of their cumulative grade point average (GPA). This process is known as academic renewal, defined in accordance with Title 5, California Code of Regulations, Section 55046. Students must complete the following requirements:

  • A petition must be filed in the Office of Admissions and Records. The Registrar or Dean of Enrollment Services is the designated authority for approval of academic renewal.
  • Accompanying the petition must be evidence that the previous substandard work does not reflect the student’s current performance or capabilities.
  • No more than thirty (30) semester units of previous substandard work (“D”, “F”, "FW"or “NP”) may be disregarded from the computation of the cumulative GPA.
  • Two terms must have elapsed since the work to be alleviated was completed.
  • The student must have completed 18 units with a 2.00 GPA, 15 units with a 2.25 GPA or 12 units with a 2.5 GPA or higher in sessions subsequent to the substandard work.
  • Work from other accredited colleges will be considered for calculating their GPA. An official transcript must be on file with the Office of Admissions and Records prior to submitting a petition.
  • When coursework is disregarded in the computation of the cumulative GPA, the student’s academic record will be annotated; all coursework remains on record, ensuring a true and complete academic history. Academic renewal actions are irreversible.

Academic renewal by the South Orange County Community College District does not guarantee that other institutions will approve such action. This determination will be made by the respective transfer institutions.

Academic renewal procedures may not conflict with the District’s obligation to retain and destroy records or with the instructor’s ability to determine a student’s final grade.