Saddleback College is committed to helping students select appropriate level courses to provide the greatest chance for their academic success. Information relating to prerequisites, co-requisites, and recommended preparation is printed in bold in the College Catalog as part of each course description. In the Class Schedule, course prerequisites are indicated with a "LOCK" symbol next to the UNITS heading.
All course prerequisites are set by the Academic Divisions and are enforced by the college. To be eligible to register for a course, students must complete the prerequisite at Saddleback College or submit an evaluation request to clear the prerequisite. Prerequisite Evaluation Requests take approximately 3 to 5 business days to process, so students should plan ahead.
IMPORTANT NOTICE: Students who have submitted official transcripts to Saddleback College Admissions & Records must still submit an evaluation request. Evaluations are not automated. It is the student's responsibility to submit a Prerequisite Evaluation Request to the Matriculation Office in a timely manner.
Procedures and Guidelines for Clearing Prerequisites
Students are responsible for satisfying and/or clearing all prerequisites for any course in which they plan to enroll in prior to their registration date. A prerequisite evaluation can take up to 5 business days to process, so plan ahead. Be sure to submit your evaluation request at least 2 weeks prior to your registration date to avoid registration delays.
Procedures for Clearing Prerequisites
- Check all document requirements in the section below.
- Acquire and prepare your documents. The online form allows for 2 document uploads, so you will want to save your documents into one PDF file or use a ZIP compression tool to ZIP all files into one.
- Make sure your name and the college name and/or logo are visible on your transcripts.
- If you have submitted official documents, please select this option on the evaluation request form.
- Complete and submit the online Saddleback College Prerequisite Evaluation Request Form.
- Check your prerequisite clearance. (See instructions below).
Document Requirements for Clearing Prerequisites
Document requirements may differ for the specific prerequisite you are attempting to clear. Please see the web pages below for specific requirements before submitting your evaluation request.
Checking Your Prerequisite Clearances
- For Math and/or English prerequisite evaluation requests, students can log into their MySite student portal. Evaluation results are displayed under My Information > Matriculation > Placement Info.
- For All Other prerequisites, students can check their prerequisite clearances by adding the course(s) they wish to register for into their Saddleback College shopping cart (in the Class Schedule), prompting a Pre-registration check. If the prerequisite has been cleared, no prerequisite error messages should display. (Note: If a class was added to the shopping cart before requesting clearance, remove and add it back for a current Pre-registration check.)
- For some prerequisite evaluations, students may be notified by the specific department when the evaluation has been processed (e.g. BIO, SPAN, CDE, ACCT, etc.).