All Academic Renewal forms and/or paperwork must be submitted to the Admissions and Records Office. Please contact their office for instructions at 949-582-4555 or online through their feedback form at https://www.saddleback.edu/feedback
Under certain circumstances, students may elect to have previously completed courses disregarded in the computation of their cumulative grade point average (GPA). This process is known as academic renewal, defined in accordance with Title 5, California Code of Regulations, Section 55046.Students must complete the following requirements:
- A petition must be filed in the Office of Admissions and Records. The Registrar or Dean of Enrollment Services is the designated authority for approval of academic renewal.
- Accompanying the petition must be evidence that the previous substandard work does not reflect the student’s current performance or capabilities.
- Previous substandard work will be disregarded. Substandard grades are defined as “D,” “F,” or “NP.”
- No more than 30 units of coursework can be considered for academic renewal.
- Such alleviation shall be permitted only after thirty (30) semester units with a 2.50 GPA have been completed and a minimum of two (2) terms have elapsed since the earning of the last substandard grades to be alleviated. Work from other accredited colleges may be considered for calculating their GPA.
- When coursework is disregarded in the computation of the cumulative GPA, the student’s academic record will be annotated; all coursework remains on record, ensuring a true and complete academic history. Academic renewal actions are irreversible.
Academic renewal by the South Orange County Community College District does not guarantee that other institutions will approve such action. This determination will be made by the respective transfer institutions.
Academic renewal procedures may not conflict with the District’s obligation to retain and destroy records or with the instructor’s ability to determine a student’s final grade.