Saddleback College is committed to helping students select appropriate level courses to provide the greatest chance for their academic success. Information relating to prerequisites, co-requisites, and recommended preparation is printed in bold in the College Catalog as part of each course description. In the Class Schedule, course prerequisites are indicated with a "LOCK" symbol below the unit count.
All course prerequisites are set by the Academic Divisions Faculty and are enforced by the college. To be eligible to register for a course that has a required prerequisite, students must complete the prerequisite course at Saddleback College or submit a prerequisite evaluation request if the prerequisite was completed at another institution.
IMPORTANT NOTICE: Students who have submitted official transcripts to Saddleback College Admissions & Records must still submit an evaluation request. Prerequisite clearance is not automatic. It is the student's responsibility to submit a Prerequisite Evaluation Request to the Matriculation Office in a timely manner.
Procedures and Requirements for Clearing Prerequisites
Students are responsible for satisfying and/or clearing all prerequisites for any course in which they plan to enroll in prior to their registration date. A prerequisite evaluation can take up to 5 business days to process, so plan ahead. Be sure to submit your evaluation request at least 2 weeks prior to your registration date to avoid registration delays. All prerequisite evaluation requests are completed in the order received.
Procedures for Clearing Prerequisites
- Find the class you wish to enroll in at Saddleback College in the Class Schedule to verify whether or not the course has a required prerequisite. Course prerequisites are indicated with a "LOCK" symbol below the unit count.
- Check all document (transcript or other evidence) requirements on the web pages below.
All Other Prerequisites
- Acquire and prepare your documents. The online form allows for 2 document uploads, so you will want to save your documents into one PDF file or use a ZIP compression tool to ZIP all files into one.
- Make sure your name and the school name and/or logo are visible on all transcripts submitted for your evaluation.
- If you have submitted official documents, please select that option on the evaluation request form.
- Complete and submit the online Saddleback College Prerequisite Evaluation Request form.
- Check your prerequisite clearance daily. (See instructions below).
Checking Your Prerequisite Clearances
- For Math, English, and Sign Language, check your MySite student portal under My Information > Matriculation > Placement Info to see your evaluation results. If you see the desired course you wish to enroll in listed on this page under the heading "Placement Course" or in an approval note in the comments, you are eligible to enroll during your current or any future registration period at Saddleback College. If you were denied clearance, please review the comments in the far-right column.
- Students can also check their prerequisite clearances by adding the course(s) they wish to register for into their Saddleback College shopping cart (in the Class Schedule), prompting a Pre-registration check. If the prerequisite has been cleared, no prerequisite error messages should display. (Note: If a class was added to the shopping cart before requesting clearance, the class must be removed and added back in for a current Pre-registration check.)
- For some prerequisite evaluations, students may be notified by the specific department when the evaluation has been processed (e.g. BIO, SPAN, CDE, ACCT, etc.).
Document Requirements for Clearing Prerequisites
Document requirements may differ for the specific prerequisite you are attempting to clear. Please see the web pages below for specific requirements before submitting your evaluation request.