English course prerequisites can be cleared at Saddleback College using specific Alternative Evidence. Students who have completed equivalent coursework or passed the appropriate AP Exam may submit their evidence for evaluation and possible prerequisite clearance. Review the accepted evidence options below. If you have suitable evidence, submit the Saddleback College Prerequisite Evaluation Request Form.
High School Transcripts
Students may submit a district-issued or school-issued copy of their high school transcript, official or unofficial. (Note: student/parent portal transcripts and grade reports are not accepted.) The high school transcript must contain the following: successful completion of equivalent English courses with an adequate overall, non-weighted GPA. For English prerequisite clearance, completion of grades 9th-11th is the standard (3 years of data on a single transcript). A student who has not yet completed 11th grade may still submit their transcript for evaluation, but the request may be denied.
A district-issued transcript looks similar to the image on the right.
Prerequisite clearance requires a Non-Weighted GPA, similar to the box
below, which is usually located at the bottom of the high school transcript.
Students can create an account with Parchment to download a free, district-issued version of their high school transcript: https://www.parchment.com/order/
Note: If you have not previously used Parchment, you may have to request that Parchment obtain a current transcript from your high school. Once you have downloaded a free copy of your transcript, you can upload it for evaluation using the secure online submission form: Prerequisite Evaluation Request.
Other U.S. Regionally Accredited College Transcripts
Students that have completed prerequisite coursework at other U.S. accredited college with completed and passed English Composition courses with a grade of C or better may submit an unofficial or official transcript to clear an English prerequisite. See all document requirements below.
- All unofficial college transcripts MUST be a complete document, include the student's name, and the college name or logo.
- All courses to be evaluated MUST be included on a transcript from where the course was taken. Transfer credits on a different college transcript cannot be used.
- Photos of documents taken with a phone or a camera cannot be used for prerequisite evaluations.
- All courses to be evaluated must be complete and have a letter (C or above) or a credit (CR) grade.
- Degree audits, degree checks, grade reports, class schedules and enrollment verification documents are not considered transcripts and cannot be used for prerequisite evaluations.
- Transcripts cannot be submitted in an editable format such as MS Word, Publisher or HTML (webpage). Cutting and pasting your transcript data into any document as well as altering or editing a transcript in any way will not be accepted.
- Screen captures must include your name and the college's name on each image to be accepted.
IMPORTANT NOTICE: It is the student's responsibility to submit a Prerequisite Evaluation Request to the Matriculation Office to have prerequisites cleared. Submitting an official transcript to Saddleback College does not automatically initiate an evaluation of prerequisites courses.
AP Comp Lit or Lang Scores
Students that have taken an AP Comp Lit or Lang exam and received a score of 3 or higher may submit an official or unofficial AP Exam score report to clear English prerequisites.
- AP scores on other college or high school transcripts are not accepted.
- College Board AP exam score reports can be accessed online if taken after 2015.
IMPORTANT NOTICE: If you are submitting the online AP score report version, please click on the "Download Score Report" link (see below) and submit this unofficial copy with your Prerequisite Evaluation Request.