Frequently Asked Questions: Matriculation & Prerequisites

I cannot register for classes due to my 'Required' Matriculation Status. What should I do?

The Matriculation Process consists of three steps and all steps must be completed before a 'Required' student is eligible to register for classes. The entire process can be completed in less than 1 hour.

To determine which steps of the Matriculation Process are still incomplete, log into MySite. From the MySite menu, click on My Information > Matriculation > Matriculation Status. Here on your Matriculation Status page, you will see all steps displayed and whether the step is 'Complete' or 'Incomplete.'

Why am I required to complete the Matriculation Process?

California regulations dictate which community college students must complete pre-enrollment services prior to registering for classes. The Student Success Act (SB 1456) requires new college students to go through the Matriculation Process unless exempt for any of the following reasons:

  • earned an associate degree (or higher) from an accredited U.S. college;
  • concurrently enrolled at another 4-year college or university;
  • taking non-academic or non-credit classes for personal development;
  • completed 30+ college units at the time of admission.

Do I have to submit a high school transcript to receive Initial Math & English placement?

No, first-time college students who reported their high school transcript data on their Saddleback College application for admission are welcome to use the online Guided Self Placement (GSP) Survey. GSP computes Math & English Placement within 5-10 minutes.

Note: A student who did not earn an unweighted GPA of 3.0 (or higher) and did not successfully complete Algebra 2 (or higher) should strongly consider using Guided Self Placement (GSP). Using GSP for initial placement is much faster than requesting a transcript evaluation.

I took the assessment exams at another college. Can I use these placement results at Saddleback College?

No, assessment exams are not part of Saddleback's Matriculation Process so we do not accept any other college's exam results for Math or English placement.

Math & English Placement is based off of high school transcript data and can be received in 5-10 minutes from the Guided Self Placement Survey.

What is a Prerequisite?

A prerequisite is a course that must be passed with a grade of C or higher before moving to the next course in a sequence.

Example: MATH 253 Intermediate Algebra (or equivalent high school math) is the prerequisite for MATH 124 Trigonometry and must be passed with a C or higher before a student is eligible to enroll.
See the Clearing Prerequisites page for more information.

What is a Corequisite Support course?

A corequisite support course is a required companion course that must be taken concurrently with the target course. The information presented and/or the practice gained in the corequisite support course is considered necessary for success in the target course.

Example: Your placement from the Guided Self Placement Math Survey is "Math 124+224S."
The corequisite support course is Math 224S which covers Intermediate Algebra. With this placement, you must sign up for both Math 124 Trigonometry and Math 224S.

Note: There are appeal methods to try and place into a higher level math class.

How do I determine which English and Math classes I should take?

Initial Math and English placement is displayed as a placement level with eligibility for several courses.

For students working towards an associate degree or transfer to a 4-year, their major and program of study determine which Math course(s) must be completed. It is recommended that students meet with a counselor to create an academic plan/MAP if they are unsure about which classes they should be enrolling in.

I need to get a prerequisite cleared right away. What do I do?

Visit our Clearing Prerequisites page and follow the instructions. An online form is available for quick submission of your request. Some evaluations can take up to 5 business days to process so please plan ahead. Submitting your request before your Registration Appointment is the best way to prevent delays.

A class I seek to take is 'Full'. What do I do?

Add yourself to the course Wait List or attend the first day of class to see if the instructor is giving out an Add Permit Code (APC). An APC is required to register for any course that is full or has already started.

I took transfer-level English and/or Math at another college. May I use those courses for Initial Math & English Placement?

No, Saddleback College uses high school transcript data for initial placement.

Once you have completed the Matriculation Process, you are welcome to clear prerequisites with your other college transcripts as needed.

What is Freshman Advantage?

The Freshman Advantage Program is designed for new, first-time college students of any age who will be attending Saddleback College the upcoming fall semester. This program offers first-time college students the opportunity to apply early, complete the Matriculation Process early, receive an early Freshman Advantage registration date, and enroll in classes before most new and continuing students.

Is there a challenge exam to clear higher math prerequisites?

No, instead of a challenge exam there is the Math Appeal. Visit the following page for more information:

Can I change my Matriculation Status?

Your Matriculation Status is based off of your application data, specifically your educational goal and highest educational level. If you believe you should not be required to complete the Matriculation Process, contact the Matriculation Office.

Note: State regulations give priority registration to college students who have a qualifying educational goal, have completed all steps of the Matriculation Process, and are in good academic standing.

Where is the Matriculation Office located?

The Matriculation Office in located in the Student Services Center (SSC) building on the second floor. SSC 225B is the office entrance. The campus map is available from this webpage:

Where do I park if I need to visit the Matriculation Office?

Parking lot 5 and 9 are centrally located to the Student Services Center (SSC) building. A valid parking permit is required. Daily parking passes are also available. The campus map is available from this webpage: