Online Education Student Videos
Canvas Basics for Students (link is external) (Student Videos)
These videos provide both how-to tutorials as well as general tips for success
for all students who use Canvas in their classes.
After Hours Support: Canvas: (844) 303-0343
Student Technical Support
You will only need to do this ONCE.
- Log in to MySite using your Student Number and PIN (4 digit password you created during the application process)
- Navigate to Change PIN/Password Option (left hand navigation bar)
- Click Link Change Password
- Enter your student PIN and create a new password (Must be between 6 and 16 characters, contain at least one number and is case-sensitive)
- Click on the change password button
- Once you see the message "Password successfully changed" near the top of this page, you will be able to use this password to login to your student email, the student wireless, and the student computers on campus.
Your login ID is your student email address up to the @ sign.
For example, if your student email account is: email@example.com
your username is: jsmith12
Click here to watch a video about changing your password.
Student Email Accounts are created within 72 hours of course enrollment.
Saddleback College uses Microsoft's Outlook.com system for Student Email Accounts.
Login to your college email at: https://outlook.com/saddleback.edu or navigate to the email option (left hand navigation bar) on the www.saddleback.edu website.
Attention New/Returning Students: You must login to MySite and change your Password BEFORE you access your student email account or other network services. See the above tab for "Help with your username or password/PIN?"
Username is the ENTIRE student email address (i.e., firstname.lastname@example.org). The password is your universal password. Click on the sign in button.
Want to forward student email to a personal email address?
- Login to MySite
- Navigate to the My Information Option (left hand navigation bar) and click on it
- Click the Change Address link
- Type the email address that you want your student email forwarded to in the "Forward Emails To" textbox at the bottom of the page
- Click no the update button and wait for the update message to appear
- Click on the update button a second time
- Go to your personal email account and look for a message from the college Admissions and records office and open it (may be in the spam folder)
- Click on the link provided to verify your forwarding address.
Note: please still also check your Saddleback email for messages. Some email programs block group messages sent from the College.
Outlook.com offers many benefits:
- More email storage (10 gigabytes versus the current 15 megabytes).
- 5 gigabytes of Office Workspace storage for shared project work.
- 25 gigabytes of storage space on OneDrive that allows access from any location with a web connection.
- A Calendar feature for personal and academic use. You’ll be able to record appointments, share calendars, and schedule meetings.
- The ability to synchronize contacts and calendars with iPhones and Windows Mobile cell phones.
- Anti-Spam and virus protection
- And Much More…
Email FAQ's - for the Outlook.com (also referred to as Live@Edu Email)/OneDrive system.
If you have a wireless-enabled computer or mobile device, you can access the Internet from most locations on campus. Note for students in online classes: not all course material (videos, exams, quizzes, etc) will work on a mobile device.
You will be asked to provide a username and password on the network authentication page. Your username and password for the on campus wireless is the same as you use to get into your Saddleback College email. If you need help with your username or password, or want to change your password, please see the above tab, "Help with Your Username or Password/PIN".
Pay careful attention to the user agreement as well as the login instructions. Be aware that you will be accessing an unsecure and unencrypted wireless network. Only casual internet browsing is recommended. Any personal or financial transactions should be done in a secure and encrypted manner not provided by this network.
It is the policy of this District to restrict access to and use of the electronic/digital information network to students and staff for appropriate academic, professional and institutional purposes. Use of the District's electronic/digital information network for other purposes is not authorized and will constitute grounds for revocation of user privileges.
For additional information:
District Computer Use Policy
If you just enrolled in classes it may take up to 24 hours for your account to be set up.
To log in to Canvas you need your Username and Password.
- Your Username is the first portion of your student email address (example: jsmith1).
- Your default Password is your PIN +00 (example: 567800), unless you have already changed/reset it through your MySite account.
Follow these steps if the default password does not work.
Go to the Saddleback homepage and click on the MySite link at the top of the page.
- Login to MySite using your ID number as the username and your PIN as the password.
- Click on the profile icon at the top right of the page.
- Click on the change pin/password link.
- Click on the change password link.
- Type in your PIN number.
- Create a new password that is between 8 and 16 characters long, and a mix of letters and numbers. If desired you can use upper case letters, and special character (e.g., !, @, and $).
- Click on the change password button.
- When you see a “Password Successfully Changed” message near the top of the page your new password has been set.
Go back to the Canvas login window on the College homepage and use the first part of your student email address as the username and the new password you just created through MySite.
If you are new to Canvas or online classes, view the Canvas Basics for Students videos. The videos created for Saddleback College students along with tips for success in online classes can be viewed.
- If you don't know your username and password for your email account, go to MySite and activate your universal password. See the "Help with Your Username and Password/PIN" tab above.
- Check your Saddleback email for any notices from your instructor. See the "Help with College Provided Student Email Account" tab above.
- Do a browser check and set up your computer to best access Saddleback College's course management system.
- You will not see your course listed in Canvas until the day your course begins (see the online Class Schedule). You should also look for an email from your instructor prior to or on the first day of class. This email will often include important information on how to get started in the class.
- If you are unable to log into Canvas on the first day of class, or your course was still not available in Canvas on the first day, please do the following:
- Go to MySite and make sure you are enrolled in the class.
- Contact Student Technical Support
- Also email your instructor by clicking on the "email" button next to their name in the Class Schedule to keep them updated on the issue.
Browser and Plug-in Check:
To see if your current browser is compatible with and set up appropriately for Canvas, do a Browser Check, the Plug-in Check is on the bottom of this page.
Mozilla Firefox is the preferred browser.
Using a Mobile Device?
Mobile devices DO NOT show all course information. You should log into Canvas using a regular computer to verify you are seeing all course materials, and for taking tests.
Minimum computer requirements for Canvas
Can be found on our Techinical Requirements page.
Most courses will not require you to download additional software. If you need Microsoft Word, PowerPoint, Excel, & OneNote, use the Microsoft Live@Edu services, via the College Email system.
Before the exam
- Complete a Browser Check for compatibility with Canvas.
- For best results, a broadband or DSL connection is required. Wireless networks have a tendency to momentarily go offline and this will cause your exam to close down. If you are using a dial-up connection to access the Internet, disable call waiting. If you are using the same phone line to dial up to the internet as you use for your voice calls, please ask everyone with access to the phone to refrain from picking up the phone as this could disconnect you from the internet.
- Make sure you have enough time to finish the exam in one sitting because you may not be allowed to save and return to the exam. Exams are set up differently in different classes. If you have questions about your exam, contact your instructor.
During the exam
- IMPORTANT: Do not use the back or refresh buttons in your browser. If you do so, your exam will be closed and you may not be able to re-enter.
- When using a mouse with a scroll wheel, be careful when scrolling. First, click a blank area on the assessment, and then use the scroll wheel. Otherwise, you risk changing some of your answers.
- Click the “save” button periodically or so to ensure you’re your answers are saved.
- When you finish the exam, click the “submit” button one time only and wait. You will receive a confirmation screen when it has been successfully submitted.
After completing the exam:
- Click on the Check Grade button from the main menu to ensure that your exam was successfully submitted. You will either see a score or another icon (e.g. a checkmark or green exclamation point) to signify that it was submitted.
- If you see a notepad and pencil icon in the grade book, then your test was not successfully submitted. You will need to contact the instructor ASAP. Student Technical Support is unable to reset your exams for you.
Additional Online Exam Help Resources:
If you experience Canvas assessment lock-outs when taking exams, here are a few suggestions to help prevent them. If the assessment does lock and if the assessment does not allow multiple attempts, you must contact your instructor to have it unlocked.
- Do not wait until the last minute to take exams; if you experience technical problems they will take time to be resolved.
- Use a non-wireless high-speed connection.
- Do the Browser Check before taking the assessment.
- Single click instead of double click on the arrow for Next Question, Save and Submit.
- Do not resize the screen, click the REFRESH or BACK arrow on your browser screen while taking an assessment. Use the assessment features to move around in the assessment.
- Avoid hitting Return/Enter. This may cause an inability to advance. If you are using AOL to access the Internet, once the connection is made, minimize the AOL window and use a different browser (Firefox). Only have one Canvas session running at a time and, when taking a test, try closing out all other programs, browsers, activities, especially instant message applications like AIM, Yahoo! Messenger, as well as email notifications. This will help with slowness.
- ISP timeout
Many Internet Service Provider (ISP) connections are set up to automatically disconnect when no activity is detected for a particular length of time (15, 20 minutes or so).
If it takes longer than the time-out period for you to take the test, the Internet connection will be down when you try to submit. The test won't submit, and you will be locked out of your test. You should remember to click the Save button at the bottom periodically while taking a test.
Although this won't necessarily save your answers in case there is some other problem, it will establish some connection with the Canvas server, so the ISP will detect activity and not time out. You will need to click Submit at the end of the test.
- Clicking outside the test area
Once a test/survey is open within the Canvas frame (not a new window), you should not click anywhere outside of the test area or the test may lock up. You will also need to be careful if you are working with a mouse that has extra features such as a scroll wheel or buttons programed for going back or forward on Internet pages. If you inadvertently hit one of those buttons, it will probably take you out of the assessment and cause it to lock up.
- Turn off popup blockers.
- Do not attempt to print an exam.
- Wait for questions to load
After you single-click to begin a test where all questions appear on one page, let all the questions load.
- If the exam is presented one question at a time, be sure to click save before going to the next question.
- Compose your essay in the text editor of Canvas. Do not use cut and paste from MS Word. (You may use a simple text editor like Notepad for Windows and TextEdit for the MAC.)
- Once you have entered the exam do not leave until finished. Do not click on any Canvas menus such as Assignments, Course Documents, Announcements, etc. Do not attempt to access other web pages as this may cause exam to fail.
- At the end of an exam, be sure to select Submit and not Save. Only Submit will send the completed exam to the instructor. Click Submit only ONCE. Do Not Double Click.
- If you are locked out of a Canvas Assessment, please contact your instructor, or follow instructions given by your instructor.
Stations are located in the Learning Resource Center (2nd and 3rd floors), Lobby of the Student Services Center Building, IMC Lab in the BGS building, and the Computer Science Lab in the Science/Math building.
Cost for B&W Printing/Photocopying: 10 cents per sheet, duplex 15 cents per sheet.
Cost for Color Printing/Photocopying: 59 cents per sheet, duplex $1 per sheet.
Click here to access your account online: https://printing.saddleback.edu/myprintcenter
Scan the QR code below for full instructions: