The mission of Saddleback College’s Basic Skills Initiative is to explore, identify, and address the needs of basic skills students. BSI funding allocations directly support a coordinated expansion of academic and student support services that will facilitate the successful transition of basic skills students into college-level coursework.
Approved as of January 29th 2015: BSI Mission and Core Values
Co-Chair: Marina Aminy, Dean OELR
Co-Chair: Carrie Goulding, English Composition Instructor
Administrative Support: Christie Smead
Office Location: LRC220
Telephone Extension: (949) 348-6084
Additional Funding Sources: Student Equity and DSPS can and will be used to augment BSI projects that align with their criteria.
Statewide Basic Skills Report: Due on August 30, 2017
Saddleback College Statistics
BSI Meeting Dates for 2016-2017 will be held in LRC 337 (unless otherwise stated) from 3 pm to 4:30 pm and are as follows:
- Monday, August 15 - First Meeting of the 16/17 academic year; open to all faculty
- Thursday, September 15 - Regular Committee Mtg.
- Thursday, October 13 - Regular Committee Mtg.
- Thursday, November 10 - Regular Committee Mtg.
- December - Happy Holidays (No Meeting.)
Meeting Dates for Spring 2017
- Tuesday, January 10 - Spring Flex Week BSI Presentation BGS 200, 4 pm - 5 pm
- Thursday, February 9 - Regular Committee Mtg.
- Thursday, March 9 - Regular Committee Mtg.
- Thursday, April 13 - Regular Committee Mtg.
|Marina Aminy, OELR
||Janet Bagwell, LA
||Jack Beckham, LA
|Estella Castillo-Garrison, CE, E & K12
||Sheryl Christensen, Counseling
||Michelle Duffy, LA
|Bruce Gilman, LA
||Carrie Goulding, LA
||Catherine Hayter, LA
|Christina Hinkle, SBS
||Michael Hoggatt, TC & SP
||Leslie Humphrey-Quirk, Outreach
|Sumaya McCleave, MS&E
||Julie McGirr, LA
||Kevin O'Connor, LA
|Maria Teresa Romero, SBS
||Penny Skaff, CS
||Cora Swanson, OELR
|Lisa Tran, CS
||Deanna Valdez, MS&E
||Cadence Wynter, FAMT
Basic Skills Completion
A Guide to Transforming Basic Skills Education in Community Colleges, Inside and Outside the Classroom.
Saddleback College - Five Year Cycle - BSI Student Success and Retention Rates
California Community College Chancellor's Office - Basic Skills Progress Tracker