Reasons to study aging:
- The field is stimulating and challenging, reflecting people's different experiences, needs, resources, and abilities.
- There is satisfaction in addressing the challenges of those who are growing older.
- Jobs can involve working with healthy elders as well as those who need more assistance.
- Opportunities abound for innovative ideas and creative programs and products.
- The field is multidisciplinary, with opportunities to work with professionals from other disciplines as well as family caregivers.
- People who work in the field of aging can positively influence agencies and organizations serving older persons.
- Studying gerontology also provides a perspective and insight into one's own aging process and that of family members (Association for Gerontology in Higher Education, 2014).
Job/Volunteer Opportunities* (most recent listed first):
- Gaucho Jobs – Continues to be the central system where Saddleback students can find job/internship postings, placement events, and appointments. https://saddleback-csm.symplicity.com/students
- Adult Day Program: Mount of Olives Church, Mission Viejo, CA- internships and paid positions
- Salus Hospice: Irvine (Volunteer Opportunities), contact: Diane Brown (949) 390-7373
- Village Management Services, Laguna Woods: recreation leaders, fitness assistants, stable assistants (job flyer), (949) 597-4213
- Belmont Village Assisted Living (Aliso Viejo): internships, volunteer opportunities, part-time/full time jobs, contact: Sadie Harness (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Cadence Hospice: Volunteers Opportunities
- Heritage Pointe, Mission Viejo: Full-time and Part-time Caregivers needed (morning and evenings shifts), contact email@example.com.
- Jewish Federation and Family Services (serving all faiths and backgrounds): Volunteer Opportunities
- Home Instead Senior Care: Job Opportunities
- Americana Getaway Senior Day Services, Tustin: Volunteers Needed
- Brookdale Hospice (volunteer); Brookdale Hospice (internships)
*Please contact the organization for further information and current job status as some positions may already be filled.
Please use these websites to explore organizations and resources in the aging field:
- AgeWork (search jobs in Aging)
- Association for Gerontology in Higher Education (AGHE)
- Association for Gerontology in Social Work (AGE- SW)
- California Council on Gerontology and Geriatrics
- CalSWEC Aging Initiative
- Council on Aging- Orange County
- Gerontological Society of America (GSA)
- International Association of Gerontology and Geriatrics (IAGG)
- MIT Age Lab
- National Association of States United for Aging and Disabilities (NASUAD)
- National Association of Area Agencies on Aging (n4a)
- National Council on the Aging (NCOA)
- National Institute on Aging
- Office on Aging- Orange County
- Senior Guidance.org (Senior Living Options)
- State of California, Employment Development Department (EDD)
- United States Social Security Administration
The Association for Gerontology in Higher Education has created a comprehensive brochure for Careers in Aging and other valuable resources: Careers in Aging Brochure. In addition, the American Psychological Association also has an Exploring Careers in Aging guide.
Program Events (archived videos):
February 2020 Guest Speaker Event: Brain Health and Financial Abuse: What you need to know